The way businesses talk to people online is broken. Intercom is fixing it.
Intercom is the first to bring messaging products for sales, marketing & customer service to one platform, helping businesses avoid the stiff, spammy status quo and have real conversations that build real connections. Designed to feel like the messaging apps you use every day, Intercom lets you talk to consumers almost anywhere: inside your app, on your website, across social media and via email. In February 2017, Intercom announced it had surpassed $50M in annual recurring revenue, an increase from $1M in ARR just three years prior, making it one of the fastest-growing companies in tech. Today more than 17,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide. Intercom has 300 employees between its San Francisco headquarters, Chicago support office, and Dublin R&D office, and has raised $116M in venture funding.
What's the opportunity?
You’re a mid-level content strategist, UX writer or content designer. You might also go by the name of information architect, UX designer, information designer, technical writer, or editor. You wear many hats. You’re OK with that.
You have an eye for good design and an ear for good writing. You think in patterns, always seeing the systems behind things (or the lack of them). You habitually find ways to make things work faster and smarter, whatever challenge you’re working on. You’re creative and can see many points of view at once. You’re ambitious and passionate about what you do. And you always put the user’s needs first.
The content strategy team, part of Intercom’s product design team, is all about understanding the language at the heart of the product. You won’t just be writing words — in fact, it won’t be the bulk of the work you do. Instead, you’ll:
- help refine concepts and definitions within our system
- create more efficient structures that help our customers do the jobs they need to do
- evolve our tone of voice to make sure it always feels personal and considered
Intercom is a small but growing company with a clear mission — to make internet business personal. To help us get there, you’ll be given autonomy and responsibility to evolve how we work and make real changes to our product from day one. You’ll be working side by side with designers, product managers, and engineers, research and analytics, shipping iteratively every week. You’ll also collaborate with other content professionals of every stripe — in marketing, our blog, or writing our documentation — to ensure our chorus of voices creates a seamless user experience.
What skills do I need?
- A strong content and/or linguistic background
- A strong understanding of design including behaviour patterns and system design
- You have an understanding of how to design simple user interfaces
- You’re able to think deeply about why and how language and interfaces work together, and you have a strong understanding and clear point of view of the impact of language on design
- You’re an excellent self-starter who can deeply collaborate with designers and engineers
- You’re a strong communicator and can make and support your decisions firmly and rationally
- You’re organised and have worked in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment
- You’re able to easily switch between thinking creatively and analytically
Bonus skills & attributes
- You have an understanding of the technical architecture of complex web and mobile applications
- You can code
- You have an understanding of natural language processing and machine learning
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us!
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner every weekday! There are also snacks and drinks on tap to keep you topped up
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our wellness programme that allows you to expense gym and other sports activities up to €90 quarterly
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.