What's the Opportunity?
We’re hiring a Design Lead to run design across our Intercom Messenger and Developer Platform teams.
You will run a small group of high-performing Product Designers. You will guide their work, set strategy for the team, and work alongside PMs, Engineers, and Content Strategists to ship world-class products.
The Intercom Messenger is the modern, fun, personal way to talk to businesses. 400m+ conversations are started over Intercom each month and our Messenger is the most visible part of that system. We care deeply about providing a fast, polished, beautiful experience that’s up there with the very best consumer messaging apps. We’re also investing in the future of emerging messaging trends like conversational UI and NLP. You will own and guide design of the Messenger across web, iOS, and Android.
Our Developer Platform design efforts are at an earlier stage, with the potential to be even more exciting. We’re building a flexible design system to allow our customers and partners to connect their data, products, and services with Intercom by building high quality integrations for apps like Facebook, Github, and Slack. We don’t want Intercom to be a siloed set of products, but rather a connected part of many other popular apps, services, and workflows.
This is a high-leverage role for us. You will be one of three Design Leads at Intercom, our second-most senior design position. You will report directly to Emmet, our Director of Product Design. We’re building a truly world-class design team here – members of our small group have already joined us from design teams at Facebook, Google, Ubuntu, Yandex, and a range of respected agencies and startups.
Intercom is a design-driven company. Two of our founders (our CEO and CSO) were designers. Our VP of Product was a designer. Most of our product managers were designers. With a strong design culture and complete buy-in from the very beginning, this is a place where you will have the opportunity to do the very best work of your career.
What will I be doing?
- Manage Product Designers across our Messenger and Developer Platform teams. Advise and guide them on interaction and visual design, give feedback on their work, ensure a high degree of quality, help and empower them to grow and learn.
- Set strategy and long-term design vision for both products. Messaging is a red-hot space and still in flux – what is the future of business messaging and how should we innovate to be at the cutting edge? Our Platform is nascent but full of potential to become an ecosystem of applications – what are the design opportunities and how do we get there? What happens at the intersection of these two teams, where messaging becomes a platform in itself?
- Work with other Design Leads and Product teams to integrate your teams’ work with theirs to product one single, coherent, beautiful Intercom experience for both businesses and their customers.
- Improve how we design and build product. Invent exciting new features and product directions.
- Work directly on the design of our products yourself, focusing especially on higher-level strategic design work. Execute every project at a world-class level.
- Lead workshops and sprints that include PMs and Engineers from your teams.
- Collaborate with our Research team to understand our users needs, and translate them into product requirements.
- Become an expert in your product areas, understanding the competitive landscape, where the market is going, and how those things relate to our company mission and vision.
We like big thinkers with small egos who believe in our goal to build a uniquely impactful, long-lasting tech company. Our vision is to fundamentally change how businesses and their customers communicate.
This position is based with our core product and engineering team in Dublin, Ireland. We're more than happy to generously relocate the right candidate, including significant others, kids, pets, etc! People have left San Francisco, London, Paris, and many other places to relocate to Dublin and join us on our hyper growth journey.
What Skills do I need?
- Have 3+ years experience as a senior-level Product Designer on web or mobile apps with a track record for shipping great product.
- Have experience coordinating, directing, and guiding the work of other designers on your team.
- Have a strong design background, think deeply about product design and thinking in systems.
- Have a stellar eye for detail. Value quality and polish in the work that you and your team produce.
- Be an excellent self starter who can deeply collaborate with designers and engineers.
- Be an excellent communicator of product decisions and the rationale behind them.
- Have excellent organisational skills and experience in a fast paced, constantly changing environment.
- Be able to easily switch between thinking creatively and analytically.
- Have an understanding of the technical aspects of modern web and mobile applications.
- Have experience building products that people can access on multiple devices; desktop, tablet, phone.
Bonus Skills & Attributes
- Have experience managing designers.
- Have experience designing messaging apps and/or design systems that other designers and developers build on.
- Enjoy writing and speaking about design.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner every weekday! There are also snacks and drinks on tap to keep you topped up
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need to
- Paid parental leave to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our roaming FlyeFit gyms in Dublin membership!
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too!
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done