The way businesses talk to people online is broken. Intercom is fixing it.
Intercom is the first to bring messaging products for sales, marketing and customer service to one platform, helping businesses avoid the stiff, spammy status quo and have real conversations that build real connections. Designed to feel like the messaging apps you use every day, Intercom lets you talk to consumers almost anywhere: inside your app, on your website, across social media and via email. Today more than 15,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide. Intercom has 300 employees between its San Francisco headquarters, Chicago support office and Dublin R&D office, and has raised $116M in venture funding.
What’s the opportunity?
Over the last five years Intercom has built a reputation for publishing some of the most thoughtful and insightful content in the software industry through our blog, books and podcast, which combined reach hundreds of thousands of people every month.
Now we’re looking for an experienced media operator who will help us plan, create, launch and operate a brand new Intercom blog. You will be setting the strategy and tone for this publication aimed at readers in early stage companies who don’t have the time to read fluff and bullshit. We want this publication to become a must read for startups – not just in Silicon Valley but around the world. This is a strategically important role on a content marketing team that’s considered one of the best in the business and will be resourced accordingly.
You’ll own this new publication and be responsible for its growth and impact by publishing timely and relevant content several times a day. Social media will be vital for its growth so you’ll need to design and execute a social strategy that will grab attention. You’ll be collaborating closely with our existing content team as well as building relationships with relevant subject matter experts across the company.
What will I be doing?
You’ll work closely with our Managing Editor to plan and produce our new blog and make sure it’s aligned with Intercom’s overall content and product strategy.
You’ll be totally comfortable publishing 3-4 short but insightful posts a day. You’ll be working with subject matter experts from around Intercom to get their opinions published rapidly. You’ll build up your own internal contacts, learn who’s got insights into different areas of the tech world and know what Slack channels to lurk in for nuggets of opinion.
You’ll also tweet and post to social media several times a day – even as you research the topics you’re writing about that day. You’ll be happy to stand in front of a video camera to explain to our audience why these stories should matter to them.
Because you’re the kind of person who wants your work to have an impact you’ll also care deeply about promotion and distribution of our new blog, using a range of channels and tactics.
What skills do I need?
- Proven first class writing ability. You produce engaging, accurate copy even under time pressure. You know how to make a story compelling and craft a headline that gets clicks.
- You’re a media manipulator who knows how to generate buzz online and offline.
- Experience of working under pressure and to tight deadlines is essential.
- 3+ years in an editorial role. (We’re also open to world class bloggers or industry analysts with an attitude).
- Really strong knowledge of the tech/startup world and a genuine interest in the space.
- Be comfortable in front of a camera
Not required but advantageous
- Basic image editing skills with Photoshop or similar package
- Video or podcast presentation experience
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Relocation assistance available
- Catered lunch and dinner served every weekday, plus a variety of breakfast foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews - great work is rewarded!
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid parental leave program
- 401k plan
- Commuter benefits
- In-office bicycle storage
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!