The way businesses talk to people online is broken. Intercom is fixing it.
Intercom is the first to bring messaging products for sales, marketing & customer service to one platform, helping businesses avoid the stiff, spammy status quo and have real conversations that build real connections. Designed to feel like the messaging apps you use every day, Intercom lets you talk to consumers almost anywhere: inside your app, on your website, across social media and via email. Today more than 15,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide. Intercom has 300 employees between its San Francisco headquarters, Chicago support office, and Dublin R&D office, and has raised $116M in venture funding.
What's the opportunity?
We’re hiring a Design Lead to run our brand new Design Systems team. You will manage a team of great designers; guide their work; set strategy; and work with the product Designers and Engineers who will use your system to build Intercom.
The Design Systems team is responsible for Intercom’s system of UI components. At its most basic level this takes the form of a pattern library and styleguide. However, Intercom has always been designed as a modular system of objects, and the Design Systems team also own the atomic design system on which all of our products are based. Finally, you will collaborate with our Visual and Brand designers to improve the look and feel of all Intercom products.
This is a massively high-leverage role and your work and influence will impact all of our products. You will report directly to Emmet, our Director of Product Design.
We’re building a truly world-class design team here at Intercom. Members of our small group have already joined us from design teams at Facebook, Google, Ubuntu, Yandex, and a range of respected agencies and startups.
Intercom is a design-driven company. Two of our founders (our CEO and CSO) were designers. Our VP of Product was a designer. Most of our product managers were designers. With a strong design culture and complete buy-in from the very beginning, this is a place where you will have the opportunity to do the very best work of your career.
What will I be doing?
- Manage a small group of Product Designers who continually improve our design systems. Advise and guide them on interaction and visual design quality, give feedback on their work, ensure a high degree of quality, help and empower them to grow and learn.
- Own the atomic design system of Intercom and all our products. Intercom is made up of a small number of modular objects (e.g. users, teammates, messages, conversations) that we reuse again and again to build workflows and products. Reflecting this modular approach in our UI and codebase by reusing the same components all the time allows us to design and build faster; reduces bugs; and make our products simpler and easier to understand.
- Become an expert in modern design systems (e.g. Material Design), understanding how they are evolving and how they relate to Intercom.
- Lead an effort to dramatically update the visual quality of our web and mobile apps. This includes working with our Brand and Visual designers to set direction and within the Design Systems team to implement changes.
- Research, improve, and evangelise the use of patterns across product teams. Help establish and develop our design and build process and educate teams on our philosophy.
- Ultimately create tools and resources that add up to one of the world’s best examples of a modern Design System.
We like big thinkers with small egos who believe in our goal to build a uniquely impactful, long-lasting tech company. Our vision is to fundamentally change how businesses and their customers communicate.
This position is based with our core product and engineering team in Dublin, Ireland. We're more than happy to generously relocate the right candidate, including significant others, kids, pets, etc! People have left San Francisco, London, Paris, and many other places to relocate to Dublin and join us on our hyper growth journey.
What skills do I need?
- Have 3+ years experience as a senior-level Product Designer on web or mobile apps with a track record for shipping great product.
- Have experience coordinating, directing, and guiding the work of other designers on your team.
- Have a strong design background, think deeply about product design and thinking in systems.
- Have a good eye for detail. Value quality and polish in the work that you and your team produce.
- Be an excellent self starter who can deeply collaborate with designers and engineers.
- Be an excellent communicator of product decisions and the rationale behind them.
- Have excellent organisational skills and experience in a fast paced, constantly changing environment.
- Be able to easily switch between thinking creatively and analytically.
- Have an understanding of the technical aspects of modern web and mobile applications.
Bonus skills & attributes
- Have experience working with and creating pattern libraries, and are passionate about design systems and models such as atomic design.
- Have experience managing designers.
- Have experience building products that people can access on multiple devices; desktop, tablet, phone.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner every weekday! There are also snacks and drinks on tap to keep you topped up
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need to
- Paid parental leave to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our roaming FlyeFit gyms in Dublin membership!
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too!
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done