The way businesses talk to people online is broken. Intercom is fixing it. 🛠️
Intercom is the first to bring messaging products for sales, marketing & customer service to one platform, helping businesses avoid the stiff, spammy status quo and have real conversations that build real connections. Designed to feel like the messaging apps you use every day, Intercom lets you talk to consumers almost anywhere: inside your app, on your website, across social media and via email. In February 2017, Intercom announced it had surpassed $50M in annual recurring revenue, an increase from $1M in ARR just three years prior, making it one of the fastest-growing companies in tech. Today more than 17,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide. Intercom has 300 employees between its San Francisco headquarters, Chicago support office, and Dublin R&D office, and has raised $116M in venture funding.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
Intercom is growing fast. We’ve created an environment where product teams, with big ambitions, can ship high-quality product to our customers every week. Across a team of more than 60 engineers, we ship changes to production around 100 times each weekday. Our mission is to make web and mobile business personal.
We’re looking for talented engineers to join us and influence our product roadmap and direction.
This is more than a technical role. You’ll be a creative product and technical contributor. You’ll use your experience to inform our engineering process and decisions when building new features and ensuring scalability and availability of the entire platform.
You’ll be part of one of our product teams which are multidisciplinary with design, frontend and backend engineering combined. While specialisation is important, we discourage pigeonholing. Our most effective engineers work across design and implementation, making the right technology decisions to build the best product.
One of our engineers, joining from a major PaaS provider, described his experience as “Before, I saw customers through a very large telescope. Now I’m right beside them.” We love the satisfaction of hearing how happy our customers are with what we build for them.
This role is based at our headquarters in downtown San Francisco close to BART and Muni.
What will I be doing? 🚀
As a Software Product Engineer you will:
- Contribute to our technical architecture as we grow. We scale to service requests from not only our customers, but their customers as well - and there are billions of them
- Care about agility as much you care for scalability and availability. Continuous deployment keeps us focused on incremental releases. Even our biggest technical achievements roll out piece by piece, feature flagged out of sight. Projects are kept short and tightly scoped. Teams build a weekly cadence of releases
- Ship a change to production on your first day and a significant public release in your first week. That “day one” change is automatically deployed to production along with over 100 other deployments (on average) each weekday
- Be proud of what you work on, obsess about the quality of the work you produce. Join us to do the best work of your career
- Have regular opportunity and support for career growth. We are constantly growing and forming new teams. For those who are motivated to lead, we prefer internal promotions for Engineering Lead and Engineering Director roles. We encourage and reward public speaking, blogging, open source contributions and community participation. We run events to share how we think and how we go about building great product
What skills do I need? 📖
- Ideally have 4+ years of experience in a software engineering role
- Have great product design instinct and reasoned opinions
- Ideally, you’ve built an exciting product in your previous roles and loved the satisfaction that comes with knowing that people around the world are using something you’ve created
- You can demonstrate significant impact that your work has had on the product and/or the team
- You also need to have deep knowledge of at least one programming language, but it doesn’t need to be a language that we use here! Great people are effective and learn what we use quickly (or introduce us to better ways of working)
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Catered breakfast, lunch, and dinner every weekday, plus a fully stocked kitchen
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid parental leave program
- 401k plan
- Commuter benefits
- In-office bicycle storage
- Keep active with our wellness program that allows you to expense your gym membership and other sports activities up to $90 quarterly
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.