The way businesses talk to people online is broken. Intercom is fixing it.
Intercom is the first to bring messaging products for sales, marketing & customer service to one platform, helping businesses avoid the stiff, spammy status quo and have real conversations that build real connections. Designed to feel like the messaging apps you use every day, Intercom lets you talk to consumers almost anywhere: inside your app, on your website, across social media and via email. Today more than 15,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide. Intercom has 300 employees between its San Francisco headquarters, Chicago support office, and Dublin R&D office, and has raised $116M in venture funding.
What's the opportunity?
As one of our first Sales Engineers, you will be a key and founding member of the team; focused on helping us define the role and scale the team. A Sales Engineer at Intercom is someone who is both passionate about the Intercom product and consulting customers on the successful deployment of Intercom into a business’ systems.
At Intercom, we are striving to do sales differently. We are asking our customers to put Intercom at the core of their businesses, and we can only do this by putting them at the core of ours. A big part of this mission is educating a customer and guiding the customer to the optimal setup to derive value from Intercom’s product. You will be partnering with our Account Executive team to explore, test, and consult customers on the ideal setup to meet their goals.
We strongly believe in the overall growth and continued development of each new hire. In joining the Sales and Sales Engineering team at Intercom, you join a community that believes in development and promotion from within. As a rapidly expanding business, there is a lot of opportunity for progression.
What will I be doing?
Support the sales team by taking a consultative role in customers’ evaluation and implementation processes, help the customer understand what is possible with Intercom, make architectural recommendations, verify and test configuration issues. Articulate and educate technical and architectural concepts to a variety of audiences, including developers, C level management, and non-technical audiences.
- Perform technical discovery with prospects and quickly architect/build proposed solutions using Intercom products
- Successfully manage and execute technical proof of concepts (POCs), on-site or remote
- Able to respond to functional and technical elements of RFIs/RFPs
- Quickly understand a customer's’ business goals and translate them into an effective technical implementation
- Document and organize technical solutions database
- Collect feedback from the field, synthesize, analyze and channel to Product Management and Engineering for product roadmap
What skills do I need?
- Bachelor's Degree Computer Science
- 1-2 years experience as Sales Engineer, Implementation Consultant, Customer Success Engineer
- Experience working with Java, PHP, Node.JS, Ruby, Python, .NET, etc
- Previous experience with problem solving in a troubleshooting environment
- Desire to learn new development frameworks, practices, and approaches.
- Passion for consulting and tactical empathy to apply and present complex solutions effectively
- Excellent written communication skills with the ability to explain complex topics in easily understood, concise language [English]
Bonus skills & attributes
- Second EMEA based language, French, German or Spanish
- Experience working with Segment.com Integrations
- Deeper understanding of backend infrastructure
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Catered lunch and dinner served every weekday, plus a variety of breakfast foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter benefits + 401k plan
- In-office bicycle storage
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!