Communication has changed for people. It’s changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle—across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
Join a high-performing Information Security group, responsible for ensuring Intercom remains secure & trusted for over 30,000 businesses. As a member of the Threat Detection team, you will detect & prevent threats to Intercom arising from software vulnerabilities or abusive activity on our platform, enabling our engineering teams to focus on an ambitious product strategy.
You will partner with R&D teams to model threats and vulnerabilities across Intercom products and empower them to address security and abuse concerns in their area of expertise. You will reduce the time & resources necessary to investigate and contain security incidents through ensuring high observability on our applications and platform infrastructure. You will raise the baseline of security awareness for R&D engineers so they develop products and features with a security mindset and grow security champions across the company.
You will be part of a globally distributed team with a strong bias for automation, eliminating toil, and helping each other work sustainably. You will have continuous opportunity and support for your career growth in a company that is invested in helping people do the best work of their careers. Learn more about our engineering culture at intercom.engineering!
What will I be doing? 🚀
As a Software Engineer on the Threat Detection team, you will:
- Detect security issues in our products in production, both through delivering internal tools, services and processes and through managing third party offerings such as bug bounty programs.
- Safeguard the reputation of our platform and products by building or integrating solutions which detect threats e.g. account abuse and malicious content (spam, malicious file/URLs). Leverage threat intelligence to influence product teams in developing secure products that are safe from abuse
- Provide effective support, frameworks and investigative tools rapidly contain, mitigate & determine impact of security incidents.
- Promote secure development practices at Intercom through our Security Training program, ensuring that we have a relevant training curriculum and active engagement from R&D.
What skills do I need? 📖
- First and foremost, you must have a passion for cybersecurity and the desire to develop your skills in a fast-moving company!
- Having professional cybersecurity experience is a plus.
- You have prior experience in writing & delivering software in a production environment.
- You have deep knowledge of a high-level programming language (e.g. Ruby, Python, Perl etc.). Note that the language doesn’t have to be one that we use here!
- You need experience with Distributed Systems. Building or securing infrastructure in the cloud (we build on AWS) is an advantage.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.