Communication has changed for people. It’s changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle—across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
Join a high-performing and empathetic team responsible for Intercom's security, privacy, and compliance programs. More than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to maintain relationships with over a billion customers worldwide and safeguarding their data is our top priority. We believe that security and privacy are everyone's responsibility at Intercom and endeavour to enable other teams maintain their own healthy security posture. We are a distributed team present in all of Intercom’s engineering offices with a strong bias for automation, eliminating toil, and helping each other work sustainably.
As a Security Engineer you will work directly with other infrastructure and product teams to identify risks and drive their remediation across the Intercom platform. You will also build and own tools, services, and infrastructure used across the company. As Intercom continues to scale we’re looking for engineers to join us to help build and evolve our security apparatus and empower us to take on even more ambitious projects. You will have regular opportunity and support for your career growth in a company that is invested in helping people do the best work of their careers.
What will I be doing? 🚀
This is a generalist role with a broad scope for an experienced candidate. You will build and own tools, services and infrastructure used across the company. You will also collaborate directly with many teams and organizations across Intercom on technical, design, and strategy decisions. As a Security Engineer you will
- Develop and maintain tooling that enables product teams to write and release secure code in an environment where we ship to production over two hundred times a day.
- Support product teams with design input and code review to identify security risks and design pragmatic solutions to mitigate them.
- Partner with our infrastructure teams to grow our use of automation and infrastructure as code practices and allow us to operate securely at scale
- Build and operate the Monitoring and Alerting infrastructure underpinning our security operations program.
- Work on new product security features to make Intercom more secure and better support the security needs of our customers.
- Triage findings from our bug bounty program and collaborate with product engineers on meaningful mitigations.
Our ideal candidate: 📖
- Is experienced in writing software in a production environment.
- Has a solid understanding of web application architecture - Intercom is a web app, so you need to know how to secure web apps.
- Has a strong bias for automating their work, preferring to create their own tools over manual processes.
- Is proficient with a high level programming language (e.g. Ruby, Python, Perl). This is necessary for you to be able to create tools and work with product engineers on our existing codebases.
- Has experience with threat modelling, web security vulnerabilities as well as their mitigation.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch and dinner every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our wellness programme that allows you to expense gym and other sports activities up to £90 quarterly
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.