Communication has changed for people. It’s changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle—across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
The Data Engineering team builds distributed systems and tools that empowers Intercom to make data informed decisions. We’re looking for a senior data engineer with a passion for tackling large scale data challenges to join our growing team.
At Intercom, data scientists, analysts and data engineers have a highly collaborative relationship. We’re building a highly-configurable data platform, enabling our partners to self-serve by building their own end-to-end data workflows, from transforming data and evaluating experiments to analysing usage and running predictive models. As a member of the Data Engineering team, you will evolve and extend this data platform to support a variety of highly impactful business and product-focused projects.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Collaborate with engineers from other teams, product managers, go-to-market teams as well as data analysts and data scientists to develop tooling and infrastructure to support their needs
- Design, build and evolve batch and real-time data pipelines that scale with the growing velocity and volume of our data
- Develop tooling to support the creation and discovery of high quality analytics data in an environment where dozens of changes can be shipped daily
- Implement systems to monitor our infrastructure, detect and surface data quality issues
- Partner with data scientists to operationalise machine learning models that drive meaningful impact on the business
- Enhance our workflow management and BI tools (we run a forks of Apache Airflow and Superset), adding new features and contributing improvements back to the community
- Public speaking, blogging, open source contributions and community participation is something we strongly encourage, and reward. We run regular internal and external events to share how we think and how we go about building great systems and products
Example projects could include:
- Move our MySQL data ingestion from batch-oriented to an event-based, real-time architecture
- Using machine learning to identify data quality issues in our core pipelines
- Building our next generation metrics framework, adding anomaly detection and alerting, and enabling easier discovery and consumption
What skills do I need? 📖
- You have experience building and operating distributed, highly-scalable software systems that involve significant data processing elements
- You have a solid understanding of data security practices and are passionate about privacy
- You can demonstrate significant impact that your work has had, both on the technology side as well as with the teams you’ve been part of
- You are highly autonomous, have a great sense of what should be worked on next and know how to break big ambiguous problems into small workable chunks
- You love helping people grow and recognise where your mentorship might be more valuable than your leadership on a project
- You have practical experience and proficiency with a high level programming language (e.g. Python, Java, Ruby, Perl) and you consider yourself pretty handy with SQL
Bonus skills & attributes 🙌
- Python experience - the majority of our codebase is Python so the more you know, the quicker you’ll be able to get started.
- Worked with Apache Airflow - we use Airflow to orchestrate and schedule all of our data workflows. A good understanding of the quirks of operating Airflow at scale would be helpful.
- Familiarity with AWS technologies. We spend most of our time working with EC2, Redshift, Aurora, S3 and Kinesis. Experience with analogous technologies (Azure, Google Cloud) is fine too.
- Experience and opinions on tools and technologies that are on our radar such as Snowflake, DBT and Debezium.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch and dinner every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our wellness programme that allows you to expense gym and other sports activities up to €90 quarterly
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.