Communication has changed for people. It’s changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle—across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
We’re looking for a talented and experienced Product Designer to help turn our mission from vision to reality. You’ll join a product team within our rapidly growing London R&D office, and will own design throughout the product development lifecycle—from new disruptive ideas all the way to detailed interactions and polished visuals.
Intercom is one of the fastest-growing and most-admired startups for design in the world, and an empowering place for designers to work. Our London office is also driving some of our most strategically important initiatives, including next-generation automation and messaging products which are defining the direction of our industry. Joining our London team at such an exciting time is a truly unique opportunity.
If you’re passionate about the craft and process of building world-class product, working with great people, and solving real problems for engaged customers, you’ll fit right in.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Work through design problems from beginning to end, translating insights from research and analytics into concepts that form disruptive new products and features, and designing the detailed workflows and interactions required to make them a reality.
- Collaborate with designers across the organisation to raise the quality bar and continuously improve Intercom’s design processes, principles, and tooling.
- Sketch and prototype ideas to quickly assess their viability, and design the fine-grained details of components, interactions, and transitions.
- Partner with product managers to define and evolve product roadmaps.
- Work closely with engineers as you build, iterate on, and ship ideas.
- Write about, present, and share what you’re learning, both internally and with the wider community via our blog, books, and events.
What skills and experience do I need? 📖
- Experience designing digital products and systems, not just websites. You have helped ship products that solve real problems, and that people use.
- An appreciation of the entire product development process, from problem solving and system modelling, through to detailed UI, visual, and interaction design.
- Ability to design polished, high-fidelity mockups of your solutions using modern design tools such as Figma and Sketch.
- Strong communication skills to help people across the company understand the rationale behind your proposals, and the complex nuances of design problems.
- Motivated self-starter who can deeply collaborate with other disciplines including product management, engineering, research, and analytics.
- A growth mindset. Willingness to own problems. Comfort with ambiguity. A desire to make things better. A balanced sense of optimism and humility.
Your experience should ideally focus on designing software products, and your portfolio should clearly outline the problems you’ve taken on with your design work. It should touch on the process you applied to find solutions and overcome challenges, rather than focusing just on visual polish, or the final deliverables.
Where will I be working 🏠
Your main place of work will be at our London office but you may be required occasionally to travel to our offices in Dublin and San Francisco.
What qualifications do I need?
Typically, a degree level qualification but at least NQF Level 6 (or similar)
When should I apply?
This recruitment programme started on 22 January 2020 and the closing date for applications is 23 February 2020.
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch and dinner every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our wellness programme that allows you to expense gym and other sports activities up to £90 quarterly
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done