Communication has changed for people. It’s changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle—across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
We are looking for a Senior Corporate Counsel who has experience working in a fast-paced environment, can provide practical and solution-based business guidance and be comfortable working on a diverse range of responsibilities. The successful candidate must be comfortable collaborating with business partners worldwide, be well rounded in a variety of legal matters and can synthesize multiple issues quickly in order to support the constantly changing needs of the business.
This position will report to the Head of Legal as the second hire in the Legal department and will be a key stakeholder in building out the Legal function at Intercom.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Respond to legal requests from sales, sales operations, marketing, business development, customer support and other internal clients and determine the appropriate course of action
- Draft, analyze and negotiate a wide variety of inbound and outbound commercial agreements, services agreements and vendor agreements to ensure that they comply with Intercom’s policies and risk tolerance
- Work with Finance, Sales Operations and other business teams to ensure approval of relevant terms
- Lead in the development of playbooks, contract templates and other methodologies and processes to help accelerate Intercom’s growth
- Assist with other projects pertaining to sales training, compliance issues, information security and privacy matters
- Assist with and/or lead the implementation of an internal contract management system
- Interface with outside counsel and implement recommended courses of action, as appropriate
- Continuously build relationships with key stakeholders to provide practical legal advice
What skills do I need? 📖
- 5-8 years of legal experience, preferably in house, for an emerging growth company, with a focus on technology transactions
- A strong background in commercial contract law, an innate ability to evaluate risk and work on multiple types of contracts (on various types of templates) simultaneously
- A thorough understanding of global data privacy requirements and security principles
- Familiarity with product related legal issues such as open source, security and inbound product licensing
- A track record of managing escalations of critical business and legal issues and resolving accordingly
- An ability to multi-task which includes handling a variety of legal issues simultaneously
- Attention to detail, a sense of passion to support Intercom’s business and the versatility and confidence to take on challenges that are presented to you
Bonus skills & attributes 🙌
- You possess emotional intelligence driven by intuition
- You anticipate the needs of others and work to create an environment of open and honest two-way communications, always ensuring that Intercom’s values are communicated and instilled in the process
- You are creative and resourceful and have an eye for detail
- You are able to immerse and assimilate into Intercom’s culture quickly by understanding our business and customers, by quickly learning what matters most, and by building deep relationships with all levels and offices within the company
- You are extremely approachable and have a good sense of humor
- You're a confident communicator, which a deep belief that authenticity will win the day
- A true team player with an orientation to work collaboratively
- You tackle mistrust or negativity with empathy and positivity and a strong outward belief that this is a great company and its future is bright!
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Catered lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter benefits + 401k plan
- In-office bicycle storage
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!
*Proof of eligibility to work in the United States is required.
Intercom values diversity and is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. Intercom will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.