The world’s first customer platform helping internet businesses accelerate growth☝️
Intercom builds a suite of messaging-first products that all modern internet businesses can use to accelerate growth across the customer lifecycle, from acquisition to engagement, and support. Today more than 25,000 businesses, including New Relic, Sotheby’s, and Shopify, use Intercom to connect with a billion unique people worldwide.
Intercom is a deeply creative company with the confidence to believe it can fundamentally change the future of internet business. Our people are incredibly ambitious, yet humble. Warm, accepting, and positive. Whether you build, market, sell or support product, we want you to make your mark with us.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
This is a unique opportunity to manage a growing team that is shaping Intercom's most exciting products. Research plays a key role in how Intercom creates products and ensures that product teams make confident and informed decisions that help us drive success.
A Research Manager supports a team of Product Researchers - each of whom is embedded in Product teams. The Researchers' job is to gather insights from our prospects, customers and end-users and to channel these into our decision-making process - working closely with Product Managers, Designers, Engineers and leadership. The Research Manager is responsible for ensuring the research team are focused on impact (finding the balance between rigour and hustle), developing our global research capability and nurturing the team's talent.
This role will be a 70:30 mix of management (e.g. support and mentoring, performance management, driving project success) and hands-on product research (e.g. leading product research projects). As the team grows, the balance will shift to focus more on management and less on research.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Lead a team of researchers to provide insight, data and ideas that help Intercom teams make better, more empathetic decisions.
- Be a discipline lead and drive quality in all research efforts - qualitative and quantitative, formative and summative, strategic and tactical.
- Ensure that the needs, behaviours and motivations of the users of Intercom’s products are represented in the product development process.
- Nurture your team's talent, helping them grow in their skills, expertise, knowledge and experience.
- Develop deep domain knowledge of your team's product areas and competitive landscape and define how research might have an impact.
- Build and guide relationships across the business that helps research deliver impact and value.
- Work with designers, product managers, and other stakeholders to define research priorities and direct the team to utilize the best methods to generate actionable insights.
- Design and execute a variety of high-profile research studies, including field studies, usability tests, concept tests, group discussions, as needed.
- Coach UX researchers to hone their findings into meaningful themes, and driving them into actionable and impactful outcomes.
- Collaborate with Design, Product Management, Data Science, Engineering, and Marketing leaders.
- Be a role model for the research team and champion the role of research within Intercom.
- Constantly learning, growing and challenging yourself to identify gaps in our research expertise and help refine our research best practice.
What skills do I need? 📖
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Psychology, Human-Computer Interaction, or Design is preferred.
- Minimum of 5+ years professional experience conducting user research for software (consumer or enterprise) using a wide variety of approaches.
- Minimum of 2+ years experience of managing teams.
- A passion for enabling the success of others and supporting their growth.
- Excellent communication skills, organisational and analytical skills.
- Ability to build strong and positive cross-functional relationships.
- Passion for building amazing products that people love, not just conducting research.
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Catered lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter benefits + 401k plan
- In-office bicycle storage
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!
*Proof of eligibility to work in the United States is required.
Intercom values diversity and is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. Intercom will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.