Communication has changed for people. It’s changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle—across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more.
What's The Opportunity? 🤔
What will I be doing? 🚀
You will get to work directly with our product and infrastructure engineering teams, you will also build and own tools, services and infrastructure used across the company.
- Perform technical security assessments on web applications, mobile clients, and architecture designs
- Maintain and create secure development practices and programs for our growing engineering teams
- Communicate security risks to engineering teams through training and technical demonstration of vulnerabilities and secure design patterns for security topics
- Conduct security code reviews, and architectural reviews
- Partner with other teams at Intercom to constantly improve our defensive posture
- Work on new product features to make Intercom users and data more secure
- Help us maintain security compliance and certification
Example projects might include:
- developing a new secure signup workflow for the main Intercom application
- building a centralised, 2-factor authentication system to manage access to all internal Intercom systems
- evolving our operational logging infrastructure, adding alerting on unusual events
- helping us build a better corporate and production infrastructure
What qualifications do I need?
Typically, a degree level qualification but at least NQF Level 6 (or similar)
What skills do I need? 📖
You need to be an experienced security engineer, preferably a generalist or a specialist with an interest in all aspects of security. You should prefer automating work over manual processes - we love automation and would love you to build your own tools for automating processes.
You also need:
- Practical experience and proficiency with a high level programming language (e.g. Ruby, Python, Perl) - this skill is essential for you to be able to create tools and work with product engineers on the existing body of code
- Solid understanding of web application architecture - Intercom is a web app, so you need to know how to secure web apps
Bonus skills & attributes 🙌
- Experience running and managing services on AWS or similar cloud services
- Familiarity with core internet technologies (e.g. TCP/IP)
- Background using Linux - all of our apps run on Linux
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch and dinner every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our wellness programme that allows you to expense gym and other sports activities up to £90 quarterly
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
When should I apply?
This recruitment programme started on 19 June 2019 and the closing date for applications is 17 July 2019.
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.