The world’s first customer platform helping internet businesses accelerate growth☝️
Intercom builds a suite of messaging-first products that all modern internet businesses can use to accelerate growth across the customer lifecycle, from acquisition, to engagement, and support. Today, more than 25,000 businesses—including New Relic, Sotheby’s, and Shopify—use Intercom to connect with a billion unique people worldwide.
Intercom is a deeply creative company with the confidence to believe it can fundamentally change the future of internet business. People here aspire to achieve big things, but are still humble, kind, accepting, and positive. Whether you build, market, sell or support product, we want you to make your mark with us.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
Work with a growing team on the forefront of conversational design at a company with a deep, demonstrated love for products and their content. At Intercom, we make internet business personal and that starts with a content-first approach to building systems that solve problems for people and businesses.
In this role, you'll be the first content designer in our San Francisco office, directly embedded with small, focused product teams to make the complex clear and put the Why before the What and the How. You’ll have direct impact on the highest-priority products and our product managers, designers, engineers, and others will look to you as an equal partner to make sure that our interfaces—and the systems that power them—serve our customers and help our business thrive.
You might call yourself a content strategist, UX writer, information architect, UX designer, or other titles. Regardless, you’ve spearheaded large, complex information projects and you have a strong point of view on how we can build better experiences with content design. You’ve shown how you can convince people to think about language in terms of systems, not just sentences. You think in patterns, seeing the systems behind things (or the lack of them). You habitually find ways to make things work faster and smarter. You have an eye for exceptional design and an ear for excellent communication. You’re ambitious and passionate about what you do, and you always put our customers’ needs first.
At Intercom, content design is part of Intercom’s product design team. We’re focused on using language as a design material to solve problems for the people and businesses using our products. That means you’ll find yourself doing things like:
- Refining concepts and definitions within our system, mapping out how products work together
- Crafting outstanding user interface copy that helps our customers succeed in their goals
- Building out our practice and discipline by working as part of a team to create principles, standards, frameworks, and a style guide to help us scale
In short: content design opportunities don’t get better than this. At other places, you’d have to start out by justifying your existence and begging for a seat at the table. Here, we know what you do and we already value it—that helps you focus on doing work that’s meaningful, valuable, and rewarded.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Work with designers, product managers, engineers, research, and analytics to start small and ship to learn as a team
- Understand, build, and improve our products, focusing on system design and solving problems using language
- Help refine concepts and definitions within our system
- Create more efficient structures that help our customers be more successful
- Build and evolve our standards to make sure we always sound personal and connected with our customers
What skills and experience do I need? 📖
- Strong experience in product content design, content strategy, and/or information architecture
- A strong understanding of product design, including system design
- An orientation toward using goals to guide your work, staying focused on the big picture rather than reacting to all issues equally
- Experience designing and iterating on user interfaces
- You’re able to think deeply about why and how language and interfaces work together, and you have a strong understanding and clear point of view of the impact of language on design
- You’re an excellent self-starter who can collaborate with designers and engineers at a deep level while moving fast
- You’re an excellent communicator and can make and support your decisions firmly and rationally in a group of any size
- You’re organized and have worked in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- You’re able to easily switch between thinking creatively and analytically
Your experience should ideally focus on designing software products, and your portfolio should clearly outline the problems you’ve taken on with your design work. It should touch on the process you applied to find solutions and overcome challenges, rather than focusing just on visual polish, or the final deliverables.
Bonus skills & attributes 🙌
- You’ve used the jobs-to-be-done framework to understand people’s goals and build product that supports them
- You’ve done system design work within a product or across a group of multiple products
- You’ve created or iterated on content standards, principles, voice/tone guidelines, and/or style guides
- You have an understanding of the technical architecture of complex web and mobile applications
- You have an understanding of natural language processing and machine learning
- You can code or write/edit content that appears in code
We’re a well-treated bunch, with great benefits! Here’s a list of some of them, but if there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, please talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Catered lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter benefits + 401k plan
- In-office bicycle storage
- Macbooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!
*Proof of eligibility to work in the United States is required.
Intercom values diversity and is committed to a policy of Equal Employment Opportunity. Intercom will not discriminate against an applicant or employee on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, age, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.