The world’s first customer platform helping internet businesses accelerate growth☝️
Intercom builds a suite of messaging-first products that all modern internet businesses can use to accelerate growth across the customer lifecycle, from acquisition, to engagement, and support. Today more than 25,000 businesses, including New Relic, Sotheby’s, and Shopify, use Intercom to connect with a billion unique people worldwide.
Intercom is a deeply creative company with the confidence to believe it can fundamentally change the future of internet business. Our people are incredibly ambitious, yet humble. Warm, accepting, and positive. Whether you build, market, sell or support product, we want you to make your mark with us.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
We’re looking for experienced people-focused Design Managers to help grow our people connect our design work to the business goals. Design Managers at Intercom directly support Brand Designers in delivering the best work they can, coaching and providing feedback and making sure our visuals support our growth and performance goals. You’ll be working alongside two other team manager peers and reporting into the Director of Brand. Our own CEO was previously a designer and creative, so design is a central role in the company. We’re a product and design driven company and take pride in solving real customer problems and executing to a high standard.
The opportunity to have impact in all of these ways is massive for building out our team at scale. You would have very real ownership and potential to make your mark. At the same time, we’re not just starting out, so it’s a stable and mature environment and an existing base on which to build. You’ll have the opportunity to do the best work of your life in helping shape, coach and people manage the designers. Intercom is a great place for a brand team and in fact is a unique example of an in-house brand team. We are a values based team and are values inform how we work, how we collaborate and how we treat each other. Those values can be found here.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Managing between 4-5 Brand Designers and/or Senior Brand Designers supporting across multiple verticals (Product marketing, content, campaigns, demand generation)
- Coaching and providing feedback (strong people management) on their performance. Helping them to develop clear career development goals and actionable plans on how to achieve those goals by setting and defining expectations.
- Helping to shape the future vision by aligning our visual design work to the business goals of the company. Connecting the design to our business objectives by encouraging strategic design decision-making and coaching designers on your understanding of smart design, messaging, strategy, audience and growth/performance goals and how it’s being solved through the design execution.
- Understanding our growth and performance marketing insights and research to enable and empower our design team to be making smart and best practice decisions our people, our structure, our processes, our beliefs.
- Ensuring the smooth running of projects on our teams in partnership with our producers and delivery of high-quality design work by reinforcing process and project management for your reports.
- Collaborating with partners across other functions: Product marketing, demand generation, campaigns, content, and product education and teams outside of marketing.
What skills do I need? 📖
- 3-5 years of management experience in people managing designers at a high bar. A desire to genuinely care about how the people who report to you perform, feel, and grow. The ability to develop a genuine relationship with people and help them grow, learn, and succeed. Emphasis on a deep understanding and expertise in people management, goal setting, career trajectory and performance assessment for a growing studio team.
- A strong understanding of business goals and strategy and how that connects back to our design solutions. An understanding of performance and growth marketing and how brand can help push forward those goals through our visuals and coaching our designers to a better understanding.
- A background of design and management experience rooted in process and systems to bring a team to executing at scale for a growing list of deliverables. A high bar of quality and design expertise to ship smart and strategic work with creative vision.
- Ability to communicate with precision, clarity, honesty, and respect.
- Ability to affect change. There are many things that we still need to evolve and improve about how we work, our processes and how we collaborate with our partners. Design Managers are a key part in driving that change. We’re looking for someone to fit in, but also make us better.
- A growth mindset. Willingness to own problems. Comfort with ambiguity. A passion for building product. A desire to make things better.
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Catered lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter benefits + 401k plan
- In-office bicycle storage
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!
*Proof of eligibility to work in the United States is required.