The world’s first customer platform helping internet businesses accelerate growth☝️
Intercom builds a suite of messaging-first products that all modern internet businesses can use to accelerate growth across the customer lifecycle, from acquisition, to engagement, and support. Today more than 25,000 businesses, including New Relic, Sotheby’s, and Shopify, use Intercom to connect with a billion unique people worldwide.
Intercom is a deeply creative company with the confidence to believe it can fundamentally change the future of internet business. Our people are incredibly ambitious, yet humble. Warm, accepting, and positive. Whether you build, market, sell or support product, we want you to make your mark with us.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
Do you cringe when a CSS animation looks janky? Ever open up an inspector to see how a site has implemented a particular effect? Or check your work in browsers besides Chrome? Have you spent hours using WebPageTest and BrowserStack to ensure things are just right? If so, you’re in the right place.
We’re looking for someone to lead and manage our team of front-end developers. This team builds out amazing UIs to tell the world about Intercom’s products, features, people, and more.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Lead a team of developers that interacts with our demand generation, content, brand design, and other teams. The team collaborates with designers, developers, marketers, SEO experts, and more to transform ideas into unique, human experiences for current and prospective customers of Intercom. Our team takes pride in its work, including award-winning sites that are shared widely and often featured on sites like Product Hunt and Hacker News.
- Manage a team of 2 full-time front-end developers as well as one or more contractors. At Intercom, we take management seriously, creating systems to ensure Intercomrades’ success, as well as coaching our team to top performance.
- Obsess about how we build our products, in areas ranging from performance to animation, accessibility and more.
- Have pride in the quality of your work. Join us to do the best work of your career.
- Have regular opportunities and support for career growth. We’re in it for the long haul.
What skills do I need? 📖
- 2+ years of experience leading (and 1+ years managing) a team of developers.
- Experience and comfort working with peers across disciplines to provide status on new projects, as well as work in progress.
- 3+ years of experience building sites using bare-bones HTML, CSS and JS. This is a “working manager” role – you will be writing code as well as managing the team. You’ll need to be comfortable building top-notch front-end experiences. We love and use frameworks, but we expect you to understand the rudiments of the core technologies.
- You should also have experience:
- Building and maintaining reusable components
- Implementing responsive layouts with adaptive grids
- Employing AJAX to create clear and seamless UX
- Utilizing of event handlers for form submissions, scrolljacking, etc.
- Understanding of cross-browser compatibility
Bonus skills & attributes 🙌
- Working on a fast-paced, multidisciplinary team
- Working with and managing design systems
- Knowledge/understanding of type layout/hierarchy
- Design experience
- Comfort in Sketch, Photoshop, or similar design tools
- Technologies we employ:
- BEM or other approaches to writing CSS
- Rails asset pipelines
- Wordpress or PHP
- PWAs, complex images, advanced animation
- webpack, babel, and npm/yarn
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Catered lunch and dinner served every weekday, plus a variety of breakfast foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter benefits + 401k plan
- In-office bicycle storage
- Macbooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!