The world’s first customer platform helping internet businesses accelerate growth☝️
Intercom builds a suite of messaging-first products that all modern internet businesses can use to accelerate growth across the customer lifecycle, from acquisition, to engagement, and support. Today more than 25,000 businesses, including New Relic, Sotheby’s, and Shopify, use Intercom to connect with a billion unique people worldwide.
Intercom is a deeply creative company with the confidence to believe it can fundamentally change the future of internet business. Our people are incredibly ambitious, yet humble. Warm, accepting, and positive. Whether you build, market, sell or support product, we want you to make your mark with us.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
We recently announced that we’re doubling the size of the Product, Design, and Engineering teams at Intercom over the next 18 months. We’re looking for an experienced design leader to run and grow our Product Design teams here in San Francisco, our headquarters.
Intercom is at a hugely exciting point in its history: we’re one of the fastest-growing and most-admired startups for design in the world today. This role will involve building and evolving a world-class San Francisco team (currently consisting of 5 Product Designers), as well as impacting how we design across the company. Important, core technologies like our Messenger (which is the face of Intercom), are based in San Francisco. Our Purchase, Onboarding, & Activation teams are also based here, conveniently co-located with the majority of our go-to-market teams.
This is a rare chance for an ambitious design leader to grow, learn, and have impact at a unique, breakout, design-centric technology company.
We strive to create a genuinely great environment for Product people to do the best work of their lives. Two of our co-founders were previously designers, as was our VP of Product, so design has always taken a central role in the company. We blog, podcast, and speak publicly about design and product. We’re serious and proud of our focus on solving real customer problems and executing to a high standard. We have vast ambitions and fully intend to achieve them, but we also care deeply about creating a happy, sustainable, enabling, fun work environment along the way.
If you’re passionate about both helping Product Design teams grow and learn, and overseeing the design of high-quality product that solves real problems for engaged customers, you’ll fit right in.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Managing and scaling the San Francisco design team through multiple phases of growth. Building a world-class design team by hiring the best, managing performance, and mentoring your team.
- Coaching and providing feedback on your team’s performance and ensuring they are delivering high-quality work that meets user and business needs.
- Defining career paths, helping people to identify opportunities for growth and define plans for achieving measurable goals.
- Acting as site leadership for the San Francisco office in collaboration with your local peers in PM and Engineering.
- Collaborating closely with other Design leaders (across Product and Brand design in Dublin and London) to evolve the global Product Design function, our culture, structure, processes, and beliefs.
- Working with leaders of other functions (e.g. PM, Eng, Research, Analytics, Marketing) to ensure that teams are collaborating effectively to execute on company strategy.
- Defining vision and strategy for products in exciting areas of design (e.g. conversational design, messengers, machine learning).
- Ensuring teams are delivering high-quality product design work that delivers on our business strategy and mission.
- Representing Intercom Product Design publicly in whatever form feels natural to you: writing, speaking, tweeting, community outreach, etc.
What skills do I need? 📖
- Experience managing a team of designers in a fast-growing environment.
- Ability to motivate and inspire people to grow, learn, succeed, do their very best work.
- Ability to communicate (written and verbally) with precision, clarity, honesty, and respect.
- Experience hiring and managing performance.
- Experience working on a broad, modern app that has significant scale.
- Strong sense of product design, from high level strategic direction down to UI design details.
- Strong systems and conceptual thinker, ability to understand complex systems.
- Ability to effect change. There are many things that we still need to evolve and improve about how we work, and this role will be a key part in driving that change.
- A growth mindset. Willingness to own problems. Comfort with ambiguity. A passion for building product. A desire to make things better. A sense of optimism.
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and meaningful equity
- Catered lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Fully funded comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy and 10 corporate holidays
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter benefits + 401k plan
- In-office bicycle storage
- Macbooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- Fun events for Intercomrades, friends, and family!
*Proof of eligibility to work in the United States is required.