The world’s first customer platform helping internet businesses accelerate growth☝️
Intercom builds a suite of messaging-first products that all modern internet businesses can use to accelerate growth across the customer lifecycle, from acquisition, to engagement, and support. Today more than 25,000 businesses, including New Relic, Sotheby’s, and Shopify, use Intercom to connect with a billion unique people worldwide.
Intercom is a deeply creative company with the confidence to believe it can fundamentally change the future of internet business. Our people are incredibly ambitious, yet humble. Warm, accepting, and positive. Whether you build, market, sell or support product, we want you to make your mark with us.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
You’re a UX writer or content designer. You might also go by the name of information architect, UX designer, information designer, technical writer, or editor. You wear many hats. You’re OK with that.
You have an eye for good design and an ear for good writing. You think in patterns, always seeing the systems behind things (or the lack of them). You habitually find ways to make things work faster and smarter, whatever challenge you’re working on. You’re creative and can see many points of view at once. You’re ambitious and passionate about what you do. And you always put the user’s needs first.
What will I be doing? 🚀
The content strategy team, part of Intercom’s product design team, is all about understanding the language at the heart of the product. You won’t just be writing words — in fact, it won’t be the bulk of the work you do. Instead:
- You’ll help refine concepts and definitions within our system
- You’ll create more efficient structures that help our customers do the jobs they need to do
- You’ll evolve our tone of voice to make sure it always feels personal and considered
- Intercom is a small but growing company with a clear mission — to make internet business personal. To help us get there, you’ll be given autonomy and responsibility to evolve how we work, and make real changes to our product from day one.
- You’ll be working side by side with designers, product managers and engineers, research and analytics, shipping iteratively every week.
- You’ll also collaborate with other content professionals of every stripe — in marketing, our blog, or writing our documentation — to ensure our chorus of voices creates a seamless user experience.
What skills do I need? 📖
- You have a strong content and linguistic background and experience in product content design
- You have a strong understanding of design including behaviour patterns and system design
- Experience designing simple user interfaces
- You’ve spearheaded large, complex projects before. You have a strong point of view on how content strategy can be applied to software products, and you’ve proven that you can convince people of the need to think about language in terms of systems, not sentences.
- You’re able to think deeply about why and how language and interfaces work together, and you have a strong understanding and clear point of view of the impact of language on design
- You’re an excellent self starter who can deeply collaborate with designers and engineers
- You’re an excellent communicator and can make and support your decisions firmly and rationally
- You’re organised and have worked in a fast paced, constantly changing environment
- You’re able to easily switch between thinking creatively and analytically
Bonus skills & attributes 🙌
- You have an understanding of the technical architecture of complex web and mobile applications
- You can code
- You have an understanding of natural language processing and machine learning
What qualifications do I need? 📖
- Typically, a degree level qualification but at least NQF Level 6
Where will I be working 🏠
- Your main place of work will be at our London office but you may be required occasionally to travel to our offices in Dublin and San Francisco.
What could I be paid?💷
- The salary range for this role is £50,000-£80,000, depending upon the amount of experience you bring to the role.
When should I apply?
This recruitment programme started on 8 May 2018 and the closing date for applications is 7 June 2018.
We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner every weekday. There are also snacks and drinks on tap to keep you topped up
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our wellness programme that allows you to expense gym and other sports activities up to €90 quarterly
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- We also offer generous relocation assistance for certain roles for people joining us from overseas
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.