The world’s first customer platform helping internet businesses accelerate growth☝️
Intercom builds a suite of messaging-first products that all modern internet businesses can use to accelerate growth across the customer lifecycle, from acquisition, to engagement, and support. Today more than 25,000 businesses, including New Relic, Sotheby’s, and Shopify, use Intercom to connect with a billion unique people worldwide.
Intercom is a deeply creative company with the confidence to believe it can fundamentally change the future of internet business. Our people are incredibly ambitious, yet humble. Warm, accepting, and positive. Whether you build, market, sell or support product, we want you to make your mark with us.
What's the opportunity? 🤔
Intercom’s content design discipline was introduced in 2015. With roles open in the product teams in Dublin, London and San Francisco, we need an experienced leader, or a designer with great leadership potential, to come in and help us take this team to the next level.
Content design at Intercom is a discipline of Product Design — simply design from a different perspective. If you’re reading this post, you’ll know that content design — or Product Content Strategy, or UX Writing — is all about driving concept definition and helping to shape the product as it grows.
Intercom is founded on a belief that communicating in a more personal, direct way helps businesses grow. We’re at a hugely exciting point in our history: we’re one of the fastest-growing and most-admired startups for design in the world today. As we expand R&D globally, building and evolving a world-class London team and growing our product team in SF.
As part of the product team, we strive to create a genuinely great environment for you to do the best work of your life. We have vast ambitions and fully intend to achieve them, but we also care deeply about creating a happy, sustainable, enabling, fun work environment along the way.
What will I be doing? 🚀
- Managing and scaling the content design team by hiring the best, and creating the shared understanding to help this small, global team cohere and succeed.
- Coaching and providing feedback to those on your team through mentoring and performance management.
- Innovating and identifying new possibilities for content design to add value to Intercom.
- Evangelizing the discipline as Intercom grows, educating those internally and externally about the insight and value offered by content design.
- Collaborating with other design leaders to evolve content design and Product Design hand-in-hand, as well as reaching out to allies in Brand Design and other content disciplines.
- Hands-on content design on strategically important product design projects.
- As the team grows, the balance will shift toward management and discipline growth, and away from hands-on design work.
What skills do I need? 📖
- A genuine passion for content design/product content strategy — you care deeply about its progress and what it has to offer the product community.
- Relationship-building and communication skills that will help you reach out to content design allies locally and globally
- A long-term frame of mind, knowing how to make trade offs that maximise the success of your team and your company. You’re always looking for ways to improve and add more value, and you’re unafraid of failure.
- An eye for good design and an ear for good writing — you think in patterns, always seeing the systems behind things (or the lack of them). You have an understanding of why and how language and interfaces work together, and a clear point of view about the impact of language on design
- Efficiency and creativity, habitually finding ways to make things work faster and smarter, whatever challenge you’re working on.
- A passion for coaching and helping others grow, giving them the freedom to drive their own design work, but supporting them with solid discipline expertise where necessary
- An understanding of how to design simple user interfaces and a deep-seated awareness of user needs, including behaviour patterns and system design.
Bonus skills & attributes 🙌
- An understanding of the logical and semantic underpinnings of web and mobile applications — you’re not an engineer, but can have useful discussions with engineers about how products are modeled and how they should evolve
- An understanding of natural language processing and machine learning
We are a well-treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there’s something important to you that’s not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner every weekday! There are also snacks and drinks on tap to keep you topped up
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- Commuting is a breeze with our generous public transport allowance
- Keep active with our wellness programme that allows you to expense gym and other sports activities up to £90 quarterly
- If you’re cycling, we’ve got you covered on the Cycle-to-Work Scheme. With secure bike storage too
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.