Founded in 2012, Instacart is a leader in North American online groceries and one of the fastest growing companies in e-commerce. Instacart's same-day delivery and pickup services bring everyday essentials and fresh groceries to consumers in the U.S. and Canada in as fast as an hour. At Instacart, we believe that great people are the ingredients for success. We like to think that we are like a potluck, everyone brings something new, different and flavorful to the table. Our mix of thoughtful, inventive and neighborly employees work together to deliver our common goal, to make grocery shopping effortless, and give valuable time back to our customers. We believe that just as meals are best shared together, success is best shared together. If this excites you, then Instacart just might be the place for you. Welcome home.
Designing for the Shopper
At Instacart, the Shopper design team is driven by the mission of building the world’s best experience for gig economy workers, our Shoppers. They are at the heart of Instacart’s business and everyday we are excited to come work on some of the world’s biggest challenges like how do we help our shoppers discover the right opportunities, how do we help them serve their customers better, how do we ensure our initiatives help support their learning & development so we build a long term partnership. Our shoppers are the ones to deliver the Instacart experience to our customers and it’s our job as designers on this team to build a platform that helps them earn while providing a excellent service to our customers.
More about the team
We're looking for a creative and thoughtful designer to join our In-store shopping team, which is responsible for helping our shoppers fulfill orders more efficiently. Part of designing for shoppers is maintaining awareness of the potential pain points for a job that's not easy. For instance, a grocery store can carry as many as 50,000 products in its inventory at any given time, much of which changes not only day by day, but minute by minute. Shoppers are on the ground in stores, carefully choosing customers' requested items or making quality replacements that align to what the customer is looking for. Your work will help define design at Instacart, and ensure that we help simplify the workflow for shoppers and that every customer has a magical experience with Instacart, from the moment they shop to the moment they receive their order.
Want to learn more? Lettuce show you the way!
Your day to day...
- Work cross-functionally with Product, Engineering, and other stakeholders to arrive at the best possible design solutions for our shoppers
- Operate as a design generalist - you'll own nebulous problems from beginning to end, translate research insights into ideas that form new features, and design the workflows and detailed interactions to bring those ideas to life
- Helping define our product strategy and roadmap
- Collaborating with the entire design team to create a cohesive and magical product experience for iOS and Android as well as responsive web
- Help mentor other designers
We rely on our values to guide our decisions: Solve for the Customer, Every Minute Counts, This is Your Baby, Go Far, Together and Of Course, But Maybe. What does this mean for your role? We are looking for someone who has:
- 4+ years designing exceptional experiences
- A passion for design and continual experimentation, iteration, and optimization
- Proven experience creating wireframes, prototypes, and UI specs and the flexibility and willingness to move from idea to whiteboard to execution quickly
- Ability to make sound design decisions with qualitative and quantitative data as well as know how to acquire the data.
- A thorough understanding of native iOS and Android platforms
- A strong visual aesthetic and experience designing within brand guidelines and design systems as well as collaborating with the design team to evolve those guidelines and systems to move Instacart's products in new and bold directions
- A strong sense of ownership
- Service design experience is a plus
Want to see a slice of life at Instacart? Checkout #tasteofinstacart on Instagram and LinkedIn
Instacart is committed to fostering a diverse work environment and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression , sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.