Founded in 2012, Instacart is a leader in North American online groceries and one of the fastest growing companies in e-commerce. Instacart's same-day delivery and pickup services bring everyday essentials and fresh groceries to consumers in the U.S. and Canada in as fast as an hour. At Instacart, we believe that great people are the ingredients for success. We like to think that we are like a potluck, everyone brings something new, different and flavorful to the table. Our mix of thoughtful, inventive and neighborly employees work together to deliver our common goal, to make grocery shopping effortless, and give valuable time back to our customers. We believe that just as meals are best shared together, success is best shared together. If this excites you, then Instacart just might be the place for you. Welcome home.
We are seeking an organized, analytical, and highly motivated individual to join Instacart’s Fraud team within our Trust & Safety organization, focusing specifically on Shopper activity. The team takes data-driven, customer-first approaches to identifying patterns of fraudulent activity on the platform, while implementing effective countermeasures to prevent and mitigate at scale. The ideal candidate has a knack for uncovering unusual patterns and is passionate about investigating further to identify the origin of the issue. In this role, you will need to make critical & sensitive decisions quickly, while maintaining strong attention to detail and effectively communicating with various stakeholders (Business Development, Product, Engineering, Finance, Field Operations, etc). It’s important to understand that you will be operating in a very dynamic environment which requires always having an eye towards improvement.
Want to learn more? Lettuce show you the way!
Your day to day…
- Use a combination of business acumen and internal/external tools to help identify patterns and investigate instances of potentially fraudulent activity across the Instacart platform, working tactically to mitigate the issue, while also thinking strategically as to how to better prevent moving forward
- Regularly perform root cause analyses to determine how fraudulent activity is occurring and to what degree it is impacting the business
- Collaborate with various stakeholders to implement scalable and compliant fraud mitigation countermeasures, while ensuring that false positives are kept to a minimum
- Regularly review existing fraud queues, maintaining function SLA's while simultaneously ensuring positive shopper, customer, and retailer experiences
- Act as point of contact and subject matter expert for fraud escalations from local and central teams with regards to market/retailer-specific concerns
- Consistently provide feedback to cross-functional partners as it relates to internal and external tools and products
- Lead various, ad-hoc risk investigative/mitigation projects while maintaining focus and balance as it relates to the shopper, customer, and retailer experience
- Work effectively with team members and cross-functional partners by succinctly and thoroughly communicating fraud trends across various areas of the business
- Collaborate in the development and optimization of fraud-prevention/reaction processes, methods, tools, and product features to both detect and prevent fraudulent activity
- Regularly interact with customers, shoppers, retail and internal partners to provide relevant support and information
Given the dynamic and multi-faceted nature of the function, the ideal candidate has a solid understanding of fraud and the behavior and system/product inefficiencies which drive it. Additionally, the ideal candidate possesses excellent time-management skills, the ability to communicate & present information effectively, and a deep-seeded passion for continuous improvement.
- Develop deep subject matter expertise in fraud and other areas of potential vulnerability/risk on the Instacart platform
- Support day-to-day processes required to to tackle known areas of risk and fraud
- Create & maintain detailed documentation of operational procedures
- Analyze problems logically with a focus on attention to detail and confidentiality
- Optimize supporting processes through multiple iterations, standardizing to the point of full or near-automation
- Research and analyze data using internal and external tools to identify fraudulent activity
- Partner with your manager, legal, and other internal teams to ensure a high level of compliance, while also developing long-term sustainable solutions
We rely on our values to guide our decisions: Solve for the Customer, Every Minute Counts, This is Your Baby, Go Far, Together and Of Course, But Maybe. What does this mean for your role? We are looking for someone who has:
- Minimum 2-3 years experience in a fraud- and/or chargeback-related field
- Anchors on data --- proficient pulling/synthesizing data and identifying trends, causation, correlation, etc (Advanced Excel + SQL experience preferred)
- Ability to effectively prioritize incoming escalations and requests
- Possess strong problem-solving skills and be able to investigate issues and obtain the data required to make quick and effective decisions independently
- Understanding and empathetic to the challenges of setting up a new function/business
- Strong communication and writing skills with attention to detail, grammar, and tone
- Positive attitude and fortitude to work through ever-changing and dynamic operational conditions
- Experience within the on-demand field
Want to see a slice of life at Instacart? Checkout #tasteofinstacart on Instagram and LinkedIn
Instacart is committed to fostering a diverse work environment and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.