Founded in 2012, Instacart is a leader in North American online groceries and one of the fastest growing companies in e-commerce. Instacart's same-day delivery and pickup services bring everyday essentials and fresh groceries to consumers in the U.S. and Canada in as fast as an hour. At Instacart, we believe that great people are the ingredients for success. We like to think that we are like a potluck, everyone brings something new, different and flavorful to the table. Our mix of thoughtful, inventive and neighborly employees work together to deliver our common goal, to make grocery shopping effortless, and give valuable time back to our customers. We believe that just as meals are best shared together, success is best shared together. If this excites you, then Instacart just might be the place for you. Welcome home.
As Senior Privacy and Product Counsel, you will lead Instacart’s recently implemented Global Privacy Program and work closely with teams like engineering, security, business development, product management, and operations to help solve thorny legal problems and enable the business to scale and grow. This attorney will report to the Associate General Counsel.
You’ll also contribute to building a legal department, and setting the culture for the team. You’ll need to be proactive and engaged, able to work well cross-functionally both internally and externally, excited about technology and e-commerce, and ready to roll your sleeves up and dig into tough legal problems to reach a creative solution.
What You'll Be Doing...
- Advising the business on privacy matters concerning product development and strategy, marketing, data use and governance, and risk
- Lead, manage and provide strategic guidance for Instacart’s Global Privacy Program
- Lead the Vendor Security Council that reviews, vets, and onboards new vendors
- Working closely with the Security team (and advising that team of technical requirements), creating, deploying and maintaining customer-facing, industry-leading privacy policies, procedures and practices for internal and external audiences
- Manage compliance with all applicable privacy regulations, including PIPEDA, the Australian Privacy Act, GDPR, CCPA and HIPAA
- Help lead and support the Incident Response Team in the review and coordination of potential privacy or data security incidents, including investigations, notifications, and other resolution efforts
- Review/draft a variety of agreements to ensure compliance with privacy-related contract terms
- Collaborating and coordinating with the Policy Team to proactively monitor and review privacy and data-protection related legislation and advocating for positions beneficial to the company
- Keep Instacart at the forefront of the evolving regulatory landscape by staying up to date with best practices and legislative and regulatory developments
- Think ahead, see around corners, and help to prepare for legal issues that may arise in the future
We rely on our values to guide our decisions: Solve for the Customer, Every Minute Counts, This is Your Baby, Go Far, Together and Of Course, But Maybe. What does this mean for your role? We are looking for someone who has:
- A J.D. from a top-tier law school and membership with at least one state bar (preferably California)
- At least 8 years of practice experience, including time at a time at a top law firm and at least 3 years specifically focused on privacy and/or cybersecurity at an in-house legal department
- A successful track record of overseeing multi-jurisdictional privacy programs, including implementation of the GDPR
- Strong executive presence and the ability to lead teams working towards a goal
- Deep subject matter expertise in global privacy laws and general passion about privacy and technology
- Familiarity with a wide-variety legal issues affecting the Internet and e-commerce spaces
- The ability to provide clear, concise legal advice, work effectively cross-functionally to drive to results, particularly with engineering, product and marketing teams
- Sound judgment and skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and interpersonal communication
- Clear comfort and well-substantiated familiarity with technology
- A team player
Want to see a slice of life at Instacart? Checkout #tasteofinstacart on Instagram and LinkedIn
Instacart is committed to fostering a diverse work environment and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression , sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.