Founded in 2012, Instacart is a leader in North American online groceries and one of the fastest growing companies in e-commerce. Instacart's same-day delivery and pickup services bring everyday essentials and fresh groceries to consumers in the U.S. and Canada in as fast as an hour. At Instacart, we believe that great people are the ingredients for success. We like to think that we are like a potluck, everyone brings something new, different and flavorful to the table. Our mix of thoughtful, inventive and neighborly employees work together to deliver our common goal, to make grocery shopping effortless, and give valuable time back to our customers. We believe that just as meals are best shared together, success is best shared together. If this excites you, then Instacart just might be the place for you. Welcome home.
We are currently seeking a Senior User Researcher on either a full-time basis or contract basis with the potential for full-time conversion to specialize on the Instacart Shopper (aka Fulfillment) experience. Senior User Researchers at Instacart have tremendous opportunity to shape the direction of the product with user-driven change and development.
You will be joining a rapidly growing research team in an organization with great enthusiasm and appetite for insights, and will support several initiatives for our Fulfillment product teams, primarily related to the way Shoppers work for Instacart. You'll:
- Launch a new On-Demand mode of working
- Monitor the rollout of a new UI for scheduling hours
- Prepare for and monitor the rollout of a new way of evaluating Shopper performance
On Fulfillment, there is a very high degree of complexity and changes can have unanticipated consequences. Research is uniquely positioned to act as the voice of a diverse population of Shoppers to ensure Instacart does the right thing. The Senior User Researcher will partner closely with Product Managers responsible for each of these efforts, attend team meetings, work with data science, identify research needs, prepare and socialize research plans, conduct research, writing and presenting reports, etc.
Want to learn more? Lettuce show you the way!
Your day to day…
- Act in a consultative and advisory role to product managers, designers, and engineers on the product team to identify research topics and proactively plan generative and evaluative research
- Define success metrics, goals and testable hypotheses, then plan research activities based on those definitions
- Independently execute multi-phased research projects end-to-end, including writing screeners and scripts, moderating user interviews, analyzing and synthesizing findings, and making strong recommendations to the team
- Work with other research-related functions such as market research, data science, and analytics to triangulate and contextualize user research findings
- Identify meaningful insights that fuel improvements to our product features and ignite new ones
- Communicate and present insights to various stakeholders in a clear and persuasive manner
- Ensure research is integrated into the product development process wherever it can have a meaningful impact
- Facilitate and help shape the research and design process
- Identify opportunities for research to have greater impact across product teams and throughout the organization
- Support other researchers by collaborating on research plans and participating in pilot sessions
- Mentor junior researchers as they support collaborative research efforts and execute independent projects
We rely on our values to guide our decisions: Solve for the Customer, Every Minute Counts, This is Your Baby, Go Far, Together and Of Course, But Maybe. What does this mean for your role? We are looking for someone who has:
- 5+ years conducting research in a consumer-focused product organization - bonus points if the product served multiple customer types
- Deep understanding and experience with various qualitative and quantitative research methodologies and techniques such as contextual inquiries and interviewing, usability testing, surveys, workshop facilitation, usage data analysis and triangulation
- Experience managing and prioritizing concurrent projects involving cross-functional teams
- Experience dealing with high levels of organization complexity, working directly with product managers, designers, and engineer, taking into account business and technical constraints when planning research and making recommendations
- Clear and compelling presentation skills with proven ability to integrate insights into product design and a user-centered design practice
- Ability to work flexibly and efficiently, executing rigorous research in a timely manner
- Extreme organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to use research insights to develop personas, journey maps and process flows
- A passion for user research, the user, and a truly collaborative spirit
- Ability to self-manage, self-motivate and deal with large amounts of complexity and ambiguity
- Willingness to do whatever needs to be done, from recruiting and managing technical setup for a study to training engineers, designers, and PMs to help with data collection for large-scale user research projects
- Advanced degree desired; minimum of Bachelor's degree in Psychology, Cognitive Science, Human-Computer Interaction, Design, Human Factors, Anthropology, a related field or the equivalent experience
Want to see a slice of life at Instacart? Checkout #tasteofinstacart on Instagram and LinkedIn
Instacart is committed to fostering a diverse work environment and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression , sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.