Founded in 2012, Instacart is a leader in North American online groceries and one of the fastest growing companies in e-commerce. Instacart's same-day delivery and pickup services bring everyday essentials and fresh groceries to consumers in the U.S. and Canada in as fast as an hour. At Instacart, we believe that great people are the ingredients for success. We like to think that we are like a potluck, everyone brings something new, different and flavorful to the table. Our mix of thoughtful, inventive and neighborly employees work together to deliver our common goal, to make grocery shopping effortless, and give valuable time back to our customers. We believe that just as meals are best shared together, success is best shared together. If this excites you, then Instacart just might be the place for you. Welcome home.
Your day to day…
- Partnering closely with Human Resources and business partners to evaluate legal risks and provide subject matter knowledge on a broad range of employment issues, including wage and hour, recruiting and hiring, training, employee management, and HR best practices
- Drafting and revising a variety of employment-related agreements and other written content such as offer letters, contractor agreements, vendor agreements, and more
- Helping to develop and implement scalable self-service tools and processes for the HR and Operations teams as the company grows
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams to structure contractor and employment law compliance across multiple jurisdictions
- Handling and resolving employment claims and litigation, including managing outside counsel
- Thinking ahead, seeing around corners, and helping to prepare for and address contractor and employment issues that may arise in the future
- J.D. from a top-tier law school and membership with at least one state bar (preferably California)
- A minimum of 5 years of related experience working on employment litigation and counseling matters (prior in-house experience preferred)
- Deep experience with employment laws in multiple states (including California) and across a wide range of issues
- Proven track record of providing pragmatic and reasoned advice to HR and business partners
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves, get into the legal nitty gritty, and the ability to exercise sound judgment when approaching novel problems without clear answers
Want to learn more? Lettuce show you the way!
Our legal team is growing! Instacart is seeking a talented Employment Counsel to handle a wide variety of contractor and employment matters that are core to the company’s business and growth. You’ll work closely with teams like human resources, finance, products, and operations to provide expert legal advice and help tackle novel and thorny cross-disciplinary issues. You must have the ability to operate independently in a fast-paced environment, prioritize a dynamic and varied workload, and possess excellent judgment. You’ll also need to be proactive and engaged, able to work well cross-functionally both internally and externally, excited about technology and e-commerce, and ready to roll up your sleeves and dig into tough problems!
Want to see a slice of life at Instacart? Checkout #tasteofinstacart on Instagram and LinkedIn
Instacart is committed to fostering a diverse work environment and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression , sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.