Instacart is building the best way for people anywhere in the world to shop for groceries. Since Instacart started in 2012, we’ve launched same-day delivery in 200 US markets. We are laser focused on delivering groceries from your favorite stores right to your door. We now cover over 60% of US households and aim to have 80% coverage by the end 2018—that's 90 million households! From a technology point of view, the platform is complex, rapidly scaling and processing millions of transactions in real-time all of the time. Our technology coupled with operational expertise enables Instacart to deliver fresh groceries in as little as an hour. This is a difficult problem to master and we are making it happen. Every day, we solve incredibly hard problems to create an experience for our customers that is absolutely magical.
About Front End at Instacart
Our web products are used by millions of people every year and the largest retailers in the US now trust us to run their grocery delivery websites. In order to meet and exceed these expectations, we're rapidly improving and modernizing our front end code base, raising our expectations for product quality on web, and opening up our internal libraries to the open source community for feedback. We hope to accelerate these efforts by growing the number of strong front end engineers on our teams.
- You will be part of a small team, with a large amount of ownership and responsibility for setting best practices and raising the front end bar for your team.
- You will work with other Front End engineers in the organization to raise the bar for product and code quality within the web product.
- You will work closely with product managers, designers, other teams, and both internal and external stakeholders, owning a large part of the process from problem understanding to shipping the solution.
- You will maintain our high engineering standards and bring consistency to our codebase.
- You will ship high quality, scalable and robust solutions with a sense of urgency.
- You will have the freedom to suggest and drive organization-wide initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, computer engineering, electrical engineering OR equivalent work experience
- Self-motivation and an enjoyment for a startup environment
- A strong sense of ownership
- Strong knowledge of modern front-end build systems and languages (Webpack, ES6, Babel, etc)
- Strong knowledge of and experience with front-end testing frameworks (Jest, Mocha, Enzyme, etc)
- A willingness to learn back-end frameworks and technologies, primarily Ruby on Rails and SQL/ActiveRecord
- An ability to balance a sense of urgency with shipping high quality and pragmatic solutions
- Experience working with a large codebase on a cross functional team
- Willing and able to travel internationally based on job requirements
- Interest or experience in building large scalable front-end systems
- Experience building or maintaining a production node.js application
- Strong analytical and debugging skills
- Talented and collaborative coworkers who will both push and support you
- Market competitive salary, equity
- Medical, dental, vision benefits and 401(k) retirement plan
- Take what you need vacation (and we really mean it)
- 16 weeks maternity leave / 8 weeks paternity leave so you can truly bond with your child
- Complimentary Instacart express membership