Insomniac Games is looking for a Lead Animator to join our studio. As a Lead Animator, you will be responsible for leading a team or pod of animators and/or technical animators in establishing, maintaining, and continuously advancing the quality of in-game and/or cinematic animation excellence.to join our team. This animator would be responsible for creating high quality animations of 3D characters, weapons, vehicles and cameras for both gameplay sequences. If this is of interest to you – keep reading!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Reviews project-specific animations (real time and cinematics and/or gameplay assets) on a daily basis to ensure that implementation is correct and that the quality is high, providing constructive feedback to the animators to assist them in continuously developing their animation, cinematography and editing skills.
- Works with Animation Director and Project Management to create and maintain an animation schedule that works with the overall schedules of the assigned production
- Works with Animation Director and Designers to plan and direct an animation style that works with the overall tone, team size, and schedules of the assigned production.
- Represents the project-specific animation team in “leads” and other appropriate intra-department meetings
- Completes all work assigned at the highest quality possible while staying on schedule
- Leads “by example” by creating animations that establish and maintain style and quality standards for the rest of the team
- Works with the Project Manager, Programmers and Designers to help ensure that animators are involved in the implementation of their characters
- Works with other production departments to help ensure that character, weapon and vehicle designs are suitable for efficient and effective animating
- Stays informed of all project-specific updates and be able to answer any necessary questions from animators
- Works with the Tools department to help create and evaluate new tools that would expedite the animation process
- Stays informed about the latest advances in Maya and ensure that animators take advantage of pertinent improvements
- Maintains a strong understanding of Character Set up process and highly proficient with skeletons, IK, FK, facial animation system, constraints and other systems used for character animation
- Reviews game characters and run levels to check on correct implementation of animations
- Maintains a solid understanding of the entire process of creating cinematics; e.g. creating partial levels, setting up cameras and characters, animating, checking, and troubleshooting scenes
- Stays informed on the latest in animation techniques from various sources such as web sites, movies, television,
- Other duties may be assigned
Supervisory Responsibilities: Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university; or seven to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ten years of animation training and experience covering all basic animation principles and techniques
- In-depth knowledge of Maya, including FK and IK techniques and basic rigging methodologies.
- Proficiency with non-linear editing programs, such as Premiere, as well as working with sound and music.
- Proficiency with office programs and production tracking programs
Other Skills: Ability to articulate one’s thought and ideas effectively through written or verbal means. Ability to work well as part of a large team. Ability to communicate effectively with other project leads. Open and supportive attitude with members of animation department.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to sit and talk, hear, stand and walk. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, please use the “Apply Now” button below. Be sure to include your updated reel- Thanks!