Are you interested in becoming a Senior member of our audio team? If so, read on! The Senior Technical Audio Designer at Insomniac Games is responsible for coordinating and completing tasks related to technical audio implementation, scripting and audio pipeline efficiencies utilizing game engine and Wwise middleware to improve the overall quality level of immersive audio in games. This role works closely with the Audio Designers, Audio Leads, Design and Core teams to design and develop systems that increase workflow productivity and allow maximum audio creativity and quality.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
• Builds, manages, and is responsible for a variety of audio systems to optimize and refine audio pipelines across all projects.
• Establishes and documents best practices for technical audio workflows for implementation across studio.
• Ensures sound effects meet technical requirements- including voice channel limits, memory management, prioritization, etc.
• Acts as an advocate with Core and other cross-discipline members of the development team to identify and develop strategies for implementing sound effects that yield highest quality results
• Identifies, investigates, and oversees the resolution of technical sound effect bugs during all stages of production
• Adept at mixing game sound effects and contributes to technical elements of final sound design mix
• Able to perform advanced scripting using visual scripting tools.
• Conceptualizes, creates, and implements unique sound effects that match the style and tone for game.
• Communicates progress toward goals on a regular basis with audio directors, audio leads and project managers.
• Represents technical audio as needed, in production meetings
• Other duties may be assigned
Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university; or five to seven years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Focus on experience in technical sound effect design, creation, mixing, processing and implementation or computer game product development experience and delivery of a AAA game in an Audio/Sound role, a plus.
• Advanced, in-depth experience with Wwise and Audio Plug-Ins is a must
• Proficient with multitrack project mixing software/hardware and session set-up (Avid Pro Tools and Reaper experience preferred)
• Proficient with mixing stereo and surround sound formats
• Proficient with PC-based sample editors (Sound Forge)
• Knowledgeable with both PC and Mac-based operating systems
• Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
• Experience with Python, Lua, C++ or visual scripting languages (aka blueprints) a plus
• Thoroughly understands the foundations of dynamic, frequency, and time-based effects as well as audio synthesis
• Thorough understanding of audio compression technologies and surround sound formats
• Emphasis in sound effect and dialogue mixing and post-production work
• Emphasis on microphone placement, operation and recording
• Basic understanding of audio physics principles
• Strong written and verbal communication skills required
• Must be able to present ideas clearly and work well within a large team environment
• Film or television production/location recording experience preferred
• Understanding of music/ playing an instrument is a plus
Thank you for considering Insomniac and our audio team, we look forward to reviewing your submissions! Please be sure to include your reel / website so we can review work samples as part of your application.