Insomniac Games is searching for its next Lead Ourtsourcing (OS) Artist. The Lead OS Artist is responsible for maintaining the established quality and artistic consistency of outsourced art, as established by project art direction. This position sets an example by the creation of art assets through a mastery of technology, tools and departmental production workflows. The Lead OS Artist also understands memory and frame budgets, production schedule and project goals, programming and design concerns, is an expert in PBR lighting and material authoring, and sets best practices for bug fixing. This Lead may also help implement new production methods to improve performance and efficiency of team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works closely with Art Director and other art leads to keep quality and style consistent across all outsourced art
- Writes and oversees the writing of documentation and briefs for vendors
- Provides direction to other outsource artists for aesthetic and technical considerations
- Works with Art Director and Outsourcing Manager to identify and schedule assets for external development
- Maintains a clear and consistent schedule in conjunction with the Project Manager
- Works closely with the design team to analyze level layouts to identify outsource opportunities
- Works closely with the Tools and Engine team to develop new or improve upon old technologies to improve quality or efficiency
- Participates in project planning
- Works with other departments to ensure that assets are delivered in a timely manner
- Works with concept team to ensure concepts are at proper production quality
- Supervise bug distribution and verify bug fixes
- Responsible for creating art components that may include:
- Design roughs, visual prototype levels, low detail (greymesh) geometry, medium detail (asset) geometry, high detail (normal map generation) geometry, instance placement and organization, UV setups, PBR texture maps/shader networks, surfaces, post process settings, initial collision to support gameplay programming
- Ensures that all complaints and concerns related to inappropriate or unprofessional conduct in the workplace, are addressed immediately to foster a safe work environment
- Other duties may apply
- The Outsourcing Lead schedules the team, reviews work for quality, and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; weekly one to one meetings with each employee; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and/or Experience:
- Master's degree (M. A.) or equivalent; or seven to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Completed work on several published game titles preferred
- Expert understanding of Photoshop, Substance Painter and Maya
- Expert understanding of current gen game engine limitations as it refers to memory, gpu and cpu performance
- Advanced understanding of ZBrush and high to low poly pipeline
- Advanced understanding of Substance Designer
- Understanding of Perforce
- Excellent foundations skills, including composition, design, and color theory
- The ability to work with detailed concept art or reference art/ materials
- Strong traditional painting skills in both stylized and photorealistic styles
- Strong leadership and mentoring abilities and interpersonal skills
- Ability to find creative solutions for technically challenging tasks
If this sounds like the role you've been waiting for, we'd love to hear from you. Please submit your application below.