Experience counts. Insomniac Games is looking for a Lead Engine Programmer to join our Core team, responsible for our studio's game engine and tools. This is a position that involves both management and technical components. If you have experience and interest in leading teams in the development of any technical area of game development, we'd love to hear from you.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Designs and develops game engine technology based on direction or feedback from team leads or directors
- Designs and implements efficient low-level systems to support higher-level pipelines
- Designs and implements tools that facilitate content creators in developing game assets
- Maintains and updates existing systems for increased functionality, memory efficiency, and performance
- Develops familiarity with hardware details of specific game platforms, their capabilities and performance bottlenecks
- Works independently to complete assigned projects with limited supervision
- Investigates existing code for optimization opportunities
- Documents technical implementation details
- Works with production teams to analyze and address development challenges
- Educates production teams on technology and engine functionality
- Responds to bugs and feature requests related to engine code
- Provides technical assistance by responding to inquiries regarding errors, problems, or questions with programs
- Maintains current knowledge of technological developments and advancements in the game industry
- Contributes innovative and original ideas towards all aspects of game development
- Oversees or participates in design and implementation of systems within areas of concentration
- Advises and mentors other programmers across the studio
- Assists other Programmers with all technical questions
- Independently recognizes opportunities to improve games, tools, engine or general workflow, and seek to make these changes
- Collaborates with project management to maintain a schedule that meets project goals and deadlines, maintains a sustainable workload and integrates well with other department schedules
- Collaborates with other Engine leads to foster a positive work environment
- Works proactively with directors to identify technical and developmental risks and obstacles, and help to create solutions
Directly supervises programming team. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; resolving problems together with Director, Core. Facilitates career development of group members.
Education and/or Experience:
- Master's degree (M. A.) or equivalent; or ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have managed a small team of developers
- Fluency in C++, and experience with C and assembly programming
- Strong grasp of mathematical concepts and analysis techniques as they apply to game engine programming
If you are looking to have a lasting impact, we look forward to hearing from you. Please use the link below and apply directly to the role. Thanks!