The Gameplay Department as Insomniac Games is growing! aAre you a senior programmer looking for your first leadership position, or an engineering lead who wants to manage a small team and also make direct code contributions? Insomniac Games is looking for a Lead Programmer for a team working on multiplayer features and system for an exciting new project. This job is a blend of direct technical contribution and team management, balancing programming work in the mutiplayer space with managing, mentoring, and caring for the well-being of your team members. You don't have to have any people management experience to apply (we will teach you!) but you should have displayed technical leadership in some form. Want to learn more? Keep reading
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Lead a small team of programmers
- Assist in developing the vision, architectural design, and planning for Insomniac's current and future gameplay systems
- Write code in C++ but not taking priority over non-technical duties
- Provide mentorship, performance evaluation, and career development support and opportunities for members of the team
- Plan, organize, monitor, and evaluate team's work
- Provide technical and creative direction and feedback to team.
- Work closely with other departments such as Design, Creative, and Project Management to:
- Provide technical, scheduling, and creative feedback on the game your team is supporting
- Help develop project goals
- Communicate technical requirements and limitations
- Ensure a balanced team schedule that meets project goals in a timely manner
- Participate in the hiring and onboarding of new employees
- Collaborate with Insomniac studio leadership to support studio cultural values and champion a positive work environment
This individual will supervise a team of employees across multiple studio locations and is responsible for carrying out duties in accordance with the studio's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include but are not limited to interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and/or Experience:
- Seven to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Strong skills in C++ and 3D math
- Familiarity with game object replication approaches that facilitate great multiplayer features and systems.
- Familiarity with network architecture for games.
- Ability to provide vision and architecture for multiplayer game systems
- Strong game design sensibilities and interest in creating a great player experience
- Interest in people management/developing leadership skills, with a particular focus on employee wellbeing
- Experience working on multiplayer gameplay systems in AAA games is a plus
- Experience scheduling, scoping, and/or distributing technical work a plus
- Previous experience managing a team a plus