Insomniac Games is looking for an amazingly talented, Senior Manager, Gameplay Programming to join our growing team. As the Senior Manager, Gameplay Programming you will be responsible for helping us build a world-class team for a new multiplayer game. The Senior Manager is responsible for leading a team of Leads and Managers to deliver outstanding product quality while ensuring the well-being of the team. This person will have a passion for multiplayer games and a strong background in multiplayer technologies and development practices. If this sounds like you, please read on!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Leads Gameplay team to deliver product excellence while ensuring sustainable well-being for individuals.
- Works with Project Management to develop and enforce a gameplay programming schedule that meets project goals and deadlines, maintains a sustainable workload for the programming team, and integrates well with other departmental schedules.
- Responsible for overall programming staffing and allocation for one or more products.
- Regularly meets with and mentors team members, providing constructive feedback and development goals and writes performance reviews for team members
- Creates a positive work environment, maintaining high morale, open communication, and team identity; keeps team informed of overall team and project direction
- Actively networking and advocating team both internally and externally
- Proactively planning the “future team” and what skills, tools, training, and recruiting will be needed to succeed.
- Develops and implements processes to ensure accountability for qualitative excellence on one or more products.
- Develops others in department to become leaders in official and unofficial capacities.
- Ensures that all complaints and concerns related to inappropriate or unprofessional conduct in the workplace are addressed immediately to foster a safe work environment
- Other duties may be assigned
Supervisory Responsibilities: Directly supervises engineering managers. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
Education and/or Experience:
- Twelve plus years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Expertise in an application programming language (C++ preferred)
- Ability to understand and adhere to the prevalent coding style and practice
- Understanding of procedural and object-oriented programming paradigms
- Adaptive coding style
- Visual Studio and Maya experience a plus
- Large team leadership, with experience navigating multiple simultaneous projects
- Creative collaboration and problem solving, with an understanding that many times it is appropriate to defer to the expertise of specialists
- Expertise in the development, production, and delivery of AAA games
- Demonstrated high-level business, strategic and contemporary management skills oriented both towards the big picture and operational detail
- Effective time management, with the ability to delegate tasks and focus on larger issues while monitoring critical smaller details
- A strong critical eye for detail and the ability to communicate effectively with the team to resolve issues
- Communication with both large groups and individuals, with excellent written and oral communication skills
- Deadline-oriented approach, with the ability to get results even in difficult situations
- A leadership style that is marked by personal visibility, open communication, relationship building, collegiality, and teamwork
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and the poise and the ability to relate effectively to others at all levels, state a point of view, and advocate for a position within a strong and assertive senior executive group
- High level oral and written communication skills and a professional demeanor
- Familiar with employee life cycle, change management and organizational structures
- Ability to create, present and oversee the execution of complex plans
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in and contribute to a collaborative environment
- Must be flexible with schedule changes and shifting timetables
- Ability to work independently and efficiently
- Ability to multitask several time intensive tasks at once
- Must be willing to put the needs of the team first, especially when team members require guidance and mentoring