Insomniac Games is searching for an Art Director, responsible for working with the Sr. Art Director, Creative Director, Gameplay Director, and narrative group to execute a project’s vision. Our Art Directors ensure excellence in all aspects of in-game visuals as applicable to role and oversee artists' contributions for one or more projects in the studio.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Ability to clearly communicate artistic vision to team and project stakeholders and see the vision through to execution in the game.
- Consults and collaborates with The Senior Art Director and other subject matter experts across all disciplines to come to informed and educated decisions about visual direction.
- Ensures that art meets quality and aesthetic standards.
- Advises leads on production pipeline for project(s).
- Advises leads on individual artist assignments for projects and tasks, including the review and critique of art assets for specific project.
- Responsible for setting the visual target and style on one or more projects.
- Creates style guides for various aspects of production and can account for art direction within a multiplayer environment.
- Assists in pre-production planning and new IP development with creative directors.
- Ensures that all complaints and concerns related to inappropriate or unprofessional conduct in the workplace, are address immediately to foster a safe work environment.
An Art Director should be able to execute multiple aspects of art production in the following areas:
- Graphics: Reviews in-game HUD, user interface (UI), icons, graphic design for logos, packaging, in-game graphics, motion graphics for logos, in-game graphics, and trailers.
- Character: Creates or directs concepts for all character assets including creatures, weapons, vehicles, outsourced assets, and key art. Reviews in-game and cinematic characters.
- Environment: Creates or directs concept for all environment assets including props, vehicles, levels, outsourced assets, and key art. Reviews in-game and cinematic environments.
- Post: Reviews post elements in-game and cinematics: color correction, fog, etc, and post elements for internally developed game trailers.
- Lighting: Reviews lighting in levels and in-game cinematics.
- Marketing: Reviews all internally created marketing art, including magazine covers, pack fronts, logos, renders, screenshots, websites, etc.
- Reviews art from external agencies.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Does not directly supervise a team of artists. Responsibilities however may include the following: interviewing, hiring, and mentoring employees; assist with planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance.
Education and/or Experience:
- 10+ years related experience; or combination/equivalent of education and experience
- Experience in shipping at least one AAA game with a multiplayer component, or a demonstrable understanding of Art Direction for multiplayer games.
- Advanced Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects user, Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience working with in-house engines and proprietary tools.
- Detailed knowledge of and practical ability with current game art creation methods, including surface transfer tools and lighting pipelines.
Insomniac Games is searching for a passionate Art Director with broad knowledge of visual direction within the games space. If this sounds like a good fit for your next career opportunity, please apply directly to the role by submitting your application below. We look forward to hearing from you.