We are looking for an amazing Senior Technical Artist - Environment to join our studio! As a "Senior Technical Artist - Environment" in our Core Technology department, you will exercise a combination of technical and artistic ability across all of our active projects. You'll use your experience with lighting and shading techniques to elevate the visual quality of our games. And you'll provide feedback, mentoring, and recommendations to other team members across departments. If this sounds exciting, please read on!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Designs and develops content pipelines based on direction or feedback from team leads.
- Designs and implements large-scale software systems and tools that facilitate content creators (Art, Animation, Design, Audio and Technology) in developing game assets
- Maintains and updates existing software systems and tools for increased functionality and performance
- Supports content creators in the use of commercial and proprietary software systems and tools.
- Works independently to complete assigned projects with minimal supervision
- Documents technical implementation details
- Develops sample content to prove out new workflows and exercise new tools
- Analyzes content performance on development and shipping hardware
- Sets technical targets for production content pipelines
- Works with production teams to analyze and address development challenges
- Educates production teams on technology and engine functionality, including creating and maintaining usage documentation, and presenting new features.
- Responds to bug reports, feature requests, and questions related to content pipelines
- Continuously expands knowledge of technological developments in the game industry
- Coordinates or participates in design and implementation of systems within areas of concentration (eg photogrammetry/photometrics, procedural generation, shader and material design, technical animation, animation dynamics, simulation).
- Maintains responsibility for an area of the technical art codebase
- Collaborates with production and technology teams in developing content creation pipelines.
- Provides clear recommendations for pipeline, engine, and tools improvements.
- Assists in setting technical specifications for projects
- Collaborates with the content creation teams and support them with new tools and shaders to elevate visual quality
- Stays current with industry-leading technology, techniques, and programs.
- Acts as liaison between art and technology groups
- Other duties may be assigned
- Advises and mentor artists and technical artists across the studio
- Assists other Technical Artists with all technical questions
Education and/or Experience:
- Eight to twelve years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Strong understanding of commercial content creation software like Maya, Houdini, and Substance
- Expertise in programming languages like Python or HLSL as needed
- Substantial experience working with game engines like Unreal, Unity, and various in-house engines
- Knowledge of file formats and pipeline components like Alembic, FBX, and Collada
- Strong knowledge of physically based shading and lighting
- Experience in node-based shader networks such as those found in Unreal Engine
- Ability to meet deadlines under tight schedules
- Willingness to receive direction and work closely with a team
- Develops and presents new and emerging techniques to team