Imaging based phenotyping of in-vitro biology is at the heart of insitro's efforts to accelerate drug development. At insitro we use machine learning to derive clinically relevant insights from rich datasets generated in-house.
As a machine learning computer vision applied scientist with an emphasis on microscopy you will develop ML methods to process and analyze images from multiple microscopy modalities. You will integrate our in-vitro imaging data to modalities like transcriptomics and human cohort data in order to extract insights about disease mechanisms. You will be part of a cross-functional team of life scientists, bioengineers and machine learning scientists that strive to identify therapeutic targets and develop drugs of high efficacy and low toxicity.
You will be joining a vibrant biotech startup that has long-term stability, due to significant funding, and is in a high growth phase. A lot can change in this early and exciting phase, providing many opportunities for significant impact. You will work closely with a very talented team, learn a broad range of skills, and help shape insitro's culture, strategic direction, and outcomes. Join us, and help make a difference to patients!
- Ph.D. in computer vision, machine learning, computer science or a related discipline, or equivalent practical experience (e.g., a Master's degree plus 2 years of relevant industry experience)
- Effective in team-based software design and development
- Demonstrated ability to use and develop cutting edge methods for analyzing imaging data
- Extensive hands on experience working with microscopy data or similar biomedical or biophysical imaging modalities
- Experience developing models for diverse computer vision tasks (e.g. segmentation, recognition, classification, domain adaptation) including using modern deep learning frameworks (PyTorch, TensorFlow, Keras, etc)
- Strong programming skills in Python, including processing TB-scale image datasets
- Ability to communicate effectively and collaborate with people of diverse backgrounds and job functions
- Passion for making a difference in the world
Nice to Have
- Demonstrated ability to write software in a team, industry experience or substantial involvement with open source projects.
- Experience modeling with video or imaging time-series datasets
- Experience building infrastructure for image preprocessing
- Experience with microscopy data acquisition
- Some understanding of image formation models (Fourier optics)
- Familiarity with cloud computing services (e.g., AWS or GCP)
- Experience with database languages (e.g., SQL)
- Publication record of meaningful contributions to high-quality work in relevant computer vision, clinical ML, or biomedical venues
- Proficiency in C++/OpenCV/CUDA, or other compiled, statically-typed languages and related computer vision/graphics libraries
Compensation & Benefits at insitro
Our target starting salary for successful US-based applicants for this role is $245,000 - $270,000. To determine starting pay, we consider multiple job-related factors including a candidate's skills, education and experience, the level at which they are actually hired, market demand, business needs, and internal parity. We may also adjust this range in the future based on market data.
This role is eligible for participation in our Annual Performance Bonus Plan (based on company targets by role level and annual company performance) and our Equity Incentive Plan, subject to the terms of those plans and associated policies.
In addition, insitro also provides our employees:
- 401(k) plan with employer matching for contributions
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage (insitro pays 100% of premiums for employees on our base plans), as well as mental health and well-being support
- Open, flexible vacation policy
- Paid parental leave
- Quarterly budget for books and online courses for self-development
- Support to occasionally attend professional conferences that are meaningful to your career growth and development
- New hire stipend for home office setup
- Monthly cell phone & internet stipend
- Access to free onsite baristas and cafe with daily lunch and breakfast
- Access to free onsite fitness center
- Commuter benefits
insitro is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
We believe diversity, equity, and inclusion need to be at the foundation of our culture. We work hard to bring together diverse teams–grounded in a wide range of expertise and life experiences–and work even harder to ensure those teams thrive in inclusive, growth-oriented environments supported by equitable company and team practices. All candidates can expect equitable treatment, respect, and fairness throughout the interview process.