The heart of insitro’s strategy is the application of innovative machine learning to human biological data in order to discover medicines that matter to patients. We seek an experienced computational cancer biologist who brings domain expertise using in vivo and in vitro datasets to study tumor biology, but yet embraces bold, new scientific perspectives, poised to demonstrate the strengths of insitro’s ML platform to interrogate overlooked areas of cancer biology. We are a data driven company, and believe that our best chance of achieving outsized impact comes from being unafraid to take non-traditional approaches in pursuit of delivering therapies to patients.
As an oncology focused computational biologist at insitro, you will lead analyses of high content, multi-modal clinical data, and perform data integration across the oncology space. In addition to human clinical data, you will use diverse sources of prior knowledge for target and biomarker validation by fusing cellular pathways, cancer cell line fitness screens, and somatic mutation databases. You will be part of a cross-functional team of life scientists, data scientists, bioengineers and machine learning scientists that strive to identify therapeutic targets and develop drugs of high efficacy and low toxicity.
You will be joining the founding team of a vibrant biotech startup that has long-term stability, due to significant funding, and is in a high growth phase, and you will have many opportunities for significant impact. You will work closely with a very dedicated team, learn a broad range of skills, and help shape insitro’s culture, strategic direction, and outcomes. Join us, and help make a difference to patients!
- Ph.D. in computational biology, systems biology, engineering, machine learning, or a related subject area, or equivalent practical experience (e.g., a Master’s degree plus 3 years of relevant experience)
- 3+ years experience in computational cancer biology, focused on analysis of high content in vivo (i.e., clinical) or in vitro (e.g., cancer cell lines), ideally combining the two
- Deep knowledge in one or more areas of cancer biology gained through research, and familiarity with other hallmarks of oncogenesis
- Extensive experience with scientific programming in Python and R, including expertise using numpy, scipy, bioconductor, and similar toolkits
- Commitment to writing reusable code and documentation and familiarity with coding processes (e.g., source control, testing)
- Ability to communicate effectively and collaborate with people of diverse backgrounds and job functions
- Passion for making a difference in the world!
Nice to Have
- Experience with transcriptomics (e.g., scRNA-seq) and/or imaging (e.g. digital histopathology)
- Experience with spatial transcriptomics and/or proteomics
- Experience working with diverse functional genomic assays (RNA/DNase/ATAC/ChIP-seq, etc)
- Publication record of meaningful contributions to high-quality work in relevant computational biology, systems biology, life sciences, or biomedical venues
- Experience working with clinicians or wet lab biologists to evaluate and follow-up on computational findings
- Familiarity with cloud computing services (e.g., AWS or GCP)
- Demonstrated ability to write software in a team, industry experience or substantial involvement with open source projects
- Experience building infrastructure for data processing
Compensation & Benefits at insitro
- 401(k) plan with employer matching for contributions
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage (insitro pays 100% of premiums for employees), as well as mental health and well-being support
- Open, flexible vacation policy
- Paid parental leave
- Quarterly budget for books and online courses for self-development
- Support to occasionally attend professional conferences that are meaningful to your career growth and development
- New hire stipend for home office setup
- Monthly cell phone & internet stipend
- Access to free onsite baristas and cafe with daily lunch and breakfast
- Access to free onsite fitness center
- Commuter benefits