Insider Inc. is launching a global news bureau in India in 2023. The bureau will start with a small and growing team that thrives on taking on challenges and building an operation from the ground up. We’re looking for a managing editor to help us scale up the office and establish efficient communications systems with our UK office, Singapore bureau, and NYC headquarters.
The managing editor will help oversee personnel, staffing, and operations. The managing editor’s responsibilities will largely be tied to helping the bureau grow in size while simultaneously focusing on internal stability.
In any given week, we could ask you to identify and screen 30 candidates for an open role, troubleshoot someone’s glitching hardware, and devise a new process for managing the bureau’s holiday calendar. This role will work closely with the India bureau chief and deputy bureau chief and report to the managing editor in the UK. You’ll also be the point person for Insider’s fellowship (internship) program in India, which is intended to help green journalists learn the newsroom ropes.
The ideal candidate for this role is a journalist who has newsroom experience and is looking to step out of a content role and into a strategy and operations role. We’re looking for someone who loves getting their hands dirty, getting things done, and thrives in a role that keeps the wheels of a newsroom turning.
The managing editor’s responsibilities will include:
- Recruiting reporters, editors, and fellows; writing job descriptions; screening candidates; and communicating with UK, Singapore, and NYC leadership on budgeting and staffing questions
- Exploring opportunities for further expansion and development in the region
- Solidifying brand identity in India by making connections in local journalism and media outlets
- Identifying opportunities to explore new social media channels while managing our existing partnerships
- Handling freelance contracts and invoices to grow our network of contributors
- Organizing new hires’ onboarding processes, from setting up meetings with stakeholders in other bureaus to handling all equipment ordering and delivery
- Upholding the company’s HR standards and supporting editors with the management of their teams
The managing editor must be:
- An effective communicator with experience collaborating with others
- A systems thinker who looks for inefficiencies in processes — and loves fixing them
- A journalist who understands the rhythms and expectations of a digital newsroom
- Passionate about meeting and hiring talented journalists with proven experience of recruiting for open newsroom roles
- Comfortable juggling many different tasks at the same time
- Highly organized and self-motivating
- Familiar with the India digital publishing landscape and have a pre-existing network of journalists
Are you passionate about this opportunity, but worried that you don’t have 100% of the experience we’re looking for? We still want to hear from you! Apply online and let us know why you would make a great addition to the Insider community.
About Us: Insider Inc. is the global media company behind Insider and an ever-growing family of brands. Our mission is to inform and inspire the digital generation and become the most influential journalism brand in the world. We reach an audience of more than 375 million users with our stories, which command attention and inspire action.
Our core value is effectiveness. We make things happen. We listen to each other, learn from each other, and take risks together. We understand that a diverse set of perspectives and an inclusive environment are critical to our success. All of this helps us get better every day. Check out our mission, values, and culture page to learn more.
Insider Inc supports a distributed workforce that allows for varied work locations. Many roles are eligible for 100% remote or hybrid remote/office work unless otherwise noted.