Insider Inc. launched its first Asia bureau in January 2021. In 16 months, we’ve grown to a team of 12 journalists working across breaking news, business and tech, and lifestyle desks. We’re looking for a deputy bureau chief to join the team in a hands-on, editorial-focused role that will be involved in all facets of running a growing international bureau. This role will report directly to the bureau chief. The candidate must be based in Singapore or be willing to relocate to Singapore.
The deputy bureau chief will function as part of the bureau’s leadership team. We’ll ask you to help assign stories, top edit stories to make them as clear and compelling as possible, and mentor editors and reporters. You’ll be looking at data and metrics to help inform story decisions, and creating systems to help us grow with stability and sustainability in mind.
Broadly, in this role, you will:
- Support editors and reporters in understanding the goals and mission of Insider Inc
- Work with the team to implement and maintain editorial standards
- Develop systems to integrate the bureau into the US and UK teams’ workflows
- Identify system weaknesses before they become problems and devise solutions
- Identify growth opportunities within Singapore and across the APAC region
On a day-to-day basis in this role, you can expect to be:
- Working directly with reporters and editors on story development, framing, and sourcing
- Stepping in to help section editors assign and edit stories
- Looking for opportunities to work on bureau-wide editorial packages
- Identifying and implementing continued-learning opportunities for journalists at every level
The ideal candidate:
- Is a systems thinker who thrives in scenarios where they are asked to create structure
- Has experience reporting or running a desk in a newsroom
- Has worked as a reporter or editor on tech or business news beats
- Is excited about leading the charge, but isn’t afraid to get their hands dirty
- Is flexible and excited by fast-paced, frequently changing work environments
- Is passionate about mentoring journalists
Are you passionate about this opportunity, but worried that you don’t have 100% of the experience we’re looking for? We still want to hear from you! Apply online and let us know why you would make a great addition to the Insider community.
About Us: Insider Inc. is the global media company behind Insider and an ever-growing family of brands. Our mission is to inform and inspire the digital generation and become the most influential journalism brand in the world. We reach an audience of more than 375 million users with our stories, which command attention and inspire action.
Our core value is effectiveness. We make things happen. We listen to each other, learn from each other, and take risks together. We understand that a diverse set of perspectives and an inclusive environment are critical to our success. All of this helps us get better every day. Check out our mission, values, and culture page to learn more.
Insider Inc supports a distributed workforce that allows for varied work locations. Many roles are eligible for 100% remote or hybrid remote/office work unless otherwise noted.