Maintenance Technician - Electrician
As a Maintenance Technician, you will be responsible for the maintenance and care of our hydroponic farms at our Infarm Growing Center in Bedford. You’ll follow clearly defined processes and quality standards to ensure both the physical farm itself and the software are working correctly.
Practical maintenance experience is required as you’ll be solving a variety of technical problems related to pipes, pumps, valves, radiators, irrigation systems, LED lamp units and fans. You’ll also need to combine this with great communication skills and the basic skills to maintain the smooth running of our software, ‘the brains’ of our urban farms. Previous software/coding skills are not required as training will be provided.
- Perform planned preventive maintenance on all production operations systems and subsystems
- Perform corrective maintenance, guaranteeing technical functionality and solve any technical problems that may arise from different machinery and hub systems associated with mechanical and electrical equipment
- Provide electrical expertise and evaluate the effectiveness of systems in order to ensure the safe, efficient and reliable operation within Infarm facilities
- Ensure that any major electric work perform by the team or contractors is performed accordingly with local regulations and codes required and is properly documented
- Perform mechanical, electrical service ranging from basic to advanced repairs and upgrades/retrofits on all production and field operation equipment as needed. Install electrical components inside Infarm’s farming system, such as sensors, controllers, LEDs and pumps
- Monitor dashboards, alerting system and help identify, report on and solve basic software issues
- Liaise with machinery suppliers as required, to rectify more serious issues and to arrange for planned maintenance and servicing. Act as the contact person for the supplier’s maintenance teams
- Maintain the supportive systems in the facility, such washing machines, packing machines, seeding machines etc
- Plan, supervise and execute fertigation for the hydroponic system; mix fertilizers & pH regulators as needed to supply for the Hub’s plant production
- Be part of on-call duty rotation to ensure 24/7 support of Infarm operations
- Test new farming system and subsystem while it is handed over from the installation team or an external supplier to ensure the full completion of the equipment commissioning.
- Certified Electrician (Certification level as required per local/region regulations of this trade)
- Proven maintenance experience in an industrial environment, preferably within a hydroponic, agricultural or food manufacturing context (2-5 years)
- Expert in different voltage systems, such as 400V/230V AC and 160V and 24V DC
- Able to identify and troubleshoot technical issues in a clear and concise manner
- Able to read and understand mechanical/electrical blueprints, schematic drawings and service manuals
- Flexible with a proactive attitude and hands-on approach
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Strong attention to detail along with a good eye caring for cleanliness around our farms
- Both confident and comfortable working independently as well as part of a team
- Organisational and planning abilities.
Special things we would like to see
- Interest in hydroponic systems and software
- Facility management experience is a plus
- Forklift license is a plus
- Experience in working at heights
- Mechanical, or plumbing certification, training records and/or references.
What we offer
- The opportunity to join Infarm as we expand across the globe and help change the future of farming
- A friendly work environment with a diverse group of motivated, talented, and visionary colleagues
- 28 days of annual paid time off, and an extra day off on your birthday
- 24/7 Professional Counselling and various internal Health & Wellness initiatives (Yoga, Diet & Nutrition, and many more)
- Subsidised meal vouchers
- Corporate pension scheme, health insurance and life insurance
- Cycle to work scheme.
Who we are
Passionate to eat better, Infarm was founded in Berlin in 2013 by Osnat Michaeli and the brothers Erez and Guy Galonska. With the aim to share the goodness of own-grown produce with everyone, they developed a smart modular farming system, that allows distribution of farms throughout the urban environment, growing fresh produce in any available space and fulfilling any market demand.
Today, with cutting edge R&D, patented technologies, and a leading multi-disciplinary team, Infarm is growing a global farming network helping cities become self-sufficient in their food production while significantly improving the safety, quality, and environmental footprint of our food.
Be part of the Infarm (r)evolution and help people to take back ownership of their food.
Infarm is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to grow an inclusive environment, where everyone can thrive, regardless of your background and circumstances. We nurture diversity because we appreciate the uniqueness and differences between people. Each employee’s distinctive experiences, perspectives, and viewpoints helps us build a resilient environment, where we can all learn, grow, and create great things together. All applicants are given equal opportunity regardless of age, gender identity or expression, language, disability, ethnic origin, national origin, religion, belief, culture, socio-economic status, or sexual orientation.