Passionate to eat better, Infarm was founded in Berlin in 2013 by Osnat Michaeli and the brothers Erez and Guy Galonska. With the aim to share the goodness of own-grown produce with everyone, they developed a smart modular farming system using IoT technology that allows distribution of farms throughout the urban environment, growing fresh produce in any available space and fulfilling any market demand.
Today, with cutting edge R&D, patented technologies, and a leading multi-disciplinary team, Infarm is growing a global farming network helping cities become self-sufficient in their food production while significantly improving the safety, quality, and environmental footprint of our food. In Berlin, we have already built the biggest urban farming network in the world, which produces an equivalent of food grown on 350.000 sqm. farmland, with 95% less water, 99% space, and 90% fewer transportation requirements.
Be part of the Infarm (r)evolution and help people to take back ownership of their food.
Who you are
The Research & Development Manager will build and lead Infarm North America's Research team, assisting with the design of the Division's roadmap. The R&D Manager will be an integral part of Infarm's business goals to have a best-in-class product portfolio in the food & beverage industry. Works in partnership with the NA commercial & product development team, and Infarm Europe's highly established R&D team to build a world-class portfolio of herbs, lettuces, leafy greens, microgreens, fruits, and vegetables. The R&D Manager is responsible for building processes & protocols for screening, testing, and commercializing new crop varieties and cultivars, increasing not only yield but also flavor and nutrient content.
You appreciate diversity. You love to be challenged. You are passionate.
- Lead Infarm's research & development department in North America. Responsible for choosing, growing, and testing world-class crops that will be launched as commercial products worldwide.
- Build Infarm's North American R&D department, in partnership with Infarm's highly established & innovative R&D department in Europe, and the head of product development for Infarm North America.
- Quickly build & launch best-in-class research & development processes and protocols.
- Establish and maintain a competitive research program on topics such as hydroponic plant production, farm management for hydroponic producers, hydroponic system design, evaluation of alternative nutrient sources and substrates, water quality, and organic sources of nutrients for hydroponic production
- Execute Infarm's ambitious product roadmap in partnership with the head of product development, and ensure all product launches stay on track
- Optimize the current product catalogue: in addition to launching new products, lead a comprehensive catalogue review and optimize current products where applicable
- Develop, review and maintain Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and training documents relevant to farm and lab practices
- Build and implement advancement criteria for the product testing pipeline, ensuring strong statistical design and analysis
- Develop and train colleagues on new techniques as they are created and incorporated into lab practices
- Establish internal and external partnerships to identify enhanced crop and horticulture research opportunities
- Collaborate with the R&D team and plant experts across locations to ensure plant quality, proper execution of experimental design and data collection
- Lead, mentor and manage the R&D team including hiring, performance management, development and termination responsibilities
- Support the Infarm Seattle team with advanced plant health matters as-needed.
- Support the regional plant expert for Infarm North America with advanced plant health matters as-needed
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master's degree (M.A./M.S.) or equivalent; or eight to ten years related experience and/or Ph.D. in horticulture, plant science, ag engineering or related field.
- Demonstrated ability for building an R&D department and all related protocols and processes, execution of horticulture trials, and completion of research projects.
- Simultaneously think big, but also grounded in the immediate, practical, get-stuff-done mindset of a startup
- Background in controlled environment agriculture; hydroponics a plus.
- Strong project management, analytical, and communication skills.
- Highly entrepreneurial with a demonstrated ability to work in a startup environment with rapidly evolving goals and timelines.
- Strong people management skills; the ideal candidate has over five years of experience managing teams.
- Have knowledge of spreadsheet software, Zoho, G Suite, Confluence and Monday.com
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally in support of the business
- Valid driver's license with clean driving record and ability to drive on behalf of the company in own, rented or company car
- Applicants must be currently authorized to work in Canada on a full-time basis
What we offer
- The opportunity to join Infarm as we expand across the globe and help change the future of farming
- The ability to drive impact and be a true partner to the business, working closely with top-level managers
- A friendly work environment with a diverse group of motivated, talented, and visionary
- Comprehensive healthcare benefits fully paid medical, dental and vision for eligible employees
- 20 days of accrued paid time off annually
- Retirement savings plan with company matching contributions
- Fresh herbs to take home
How to apply
- Please be sure to carefully review the above job description first and also check out our website and media in order to get an introductory overview of Infarm
- Submit your CV/resume and any additional documents in English
- Please note that we only accept applications coming through our platform. No applications will be accepted by email or LinkedIn direct messaging
We strive to grow an inclusive environment, where everyone can thrive, regardless of your background and circumstances. We nurture diversity because we appreciate the uniqueness and differences between people. Each employee’s distinctive experiences, perspectives, and viewpoints helps us build a resilient environment, where we can all learn, grow, and create great things together.
Infarm is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. Infarm does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state, provincial or federal laws or prohibited by Company policy. Infarm also strives for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibits harassment of any kind.
Your health and ours are very important to us! In times of COVID-19, we have fully adapted and digitized our application process so we can continue to be there for our applicants. Stay healthy!
To all recruitment agencies: Infarm does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or Infarm employees. Infarm is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.