About the Company:
Industrious is the nation's leading provider of premium co-working and flexible office space. We are reinventing how people work by creating elegant, welcoming environments and delivering amazing hospitality that make people excited and proud to come to work. With a seasoned leadership team, a long list of brand-name clients and over $75 million of funding to date, Industrious is well-positioned for rapid growth, as we scale our network to over 75+ locations across the US.
All of this is driven by our amazing team. Here’s a quote from our most recent employee survey: “I've never worked with a team of such smart, engaged, kind, empathetic people before. I am always proud and excited to work with our team and to help my teammates grow. Industrious' culture is welcoming, encouraging, and fun, making me feel appreciated as an employee and part of a tight-knit team.”
About the Role:
As Director of Construction at Industrious, you will be responsible for the leadership of the the project management team and overall construction of all commercial interior projects from conception through construction and closeout. Your work will be critical to providing a productive and more connected workplace for startups, artists, writers and businesses around the world.
The Director of Construction will be responsible for ensuring that all projects meet quality, schedule, contractual, and budget goals. You will oversee internal and external project communications, track overall construction schedules, and review and analyze costs to ensure project managers are meeting budgetary goals. General oversight of general contractors and external partners to ensure all strategic objectives and key results are met.
This will be a dynamic position requiring strong leadership capabilities, seasoned project management experience, knowledge of construction build methodologies and various contract delivery methods with a proven track record of delivering high-end commercial interiors. The ideal candidate should have at least 13 years of experience within the construction industry with general contracting experience in high growth environments. This is a fantastic opportunity to further develop your strategic planning and team management skills while gaining direct exposure into the real estate, design and hospitality industries from the owner's perspective.
The role is based in Brooklyn and will require some travel.
The role will include but is not limited to the following:
- Responsible for managing overall financial performance of construction projects via project management team members
- Ensure all openings are kept on schedule through oversight over design, permitting and construction phases of all projects
- Develop construction business strategies for significant growth; all to ensure fiduciary, schedule and quality standards are all met consistently
- Demonstrates ability to navigate constructibility reviews, provides design or value engineering options, and develop risk mitigation or contingency plans
- Oversight of all projects including: handoff from real estate department, scheduling, budget forecasting, and coordination of external resources with subcontractors, vendors and consultants
- Ensure project management team have all the tools to run efficiently in a fast-paced environment. Including software programs, templates, systems, and standard operating procedures
- Source and manage national partners and vendors from bulk buy materials to construction management firms
- Interact regularly with VP of Design and Construction to ensure objectives and key results are being met
- Work closely with Head of Design to communicate and ensure that the design-intent carries throughout the projects
- Responsible for tracking performance, training, coaching and motivating direct reports
- Work closely with real estate department by managing due diligence request, lease reviews, and budgeting exercises
- At least 13 years project managing commercial interior, retail, or hospitality construction projects, from initial programming through construction completion.
- Project Manager or Contract Executive titles for at least 10 years at a General Contractor firm.
- Strong proven track record of bringing construction projects in on time and within budget
- Expert knowledge of design and construction methods and MEP systems
- Significant experience in cost estimation and negotiating, creating bid packages, contract awards, and cost reports
- Highly proficient in estimating, scheduling, quality control, progress reports, progress billing, design review and coordination, cost reporting, and proposal preparation
- Construction Management or Engineering degree from an accredited institution
- A majority of career history based from general contractor or construction management firm
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, and Adobe Suite
- Exhibits a complete understanding of various contract delivery models including: Design Build, Design Assist, Guaranteed Maximum Price, Cost Plus Fee, Lump Sum
- Demonstrates ability to work within lean construction methodologies including target value design, pull plan scheduling, integrated product delivery models, and continuous improvement
- Provide risk management expertise to ensure all contractual obligations are diligently reviewed and met
- Effective communication skills ranging from providing presentations to executives, motivating direct reports, and onsite field presence
- Ability to organize, plan and manage multiple objectives to accomplish desired results while tackling challenges head-on
- Ability to make sound, objective decisions under tight deadlines
- Strong technical aptitude and analytic skill
- Must be team oriented and be able to lead productive, multi-discipline meetings
- Act in a manner of integrity that shows support for the company, its values, and the employees, while maintaining constant focus on meeting/exceeding requirements and expectations
In addition to our incredible team, there are lots of other fun reasons to work with us.
- Daily breakfast, snacks, coffee, tea, and drinks at all Industrious locations
- Health care, including vision and dental
- 401K plan
- Smart casual dress code
- Generous vacation time
- Paid parental leave
- Team outings (ex. Dinners, rock climbing, yoga classes and more!)
- Company-wide outings and retreats (previous locations have included New Orleans & the Hamptons)
Industrious in the News:
- Is Industrious Like A Four Seasons? CEO Hodari Seems To Think So
- From Jamie, our CEO: The Tension that Defines us: Some Thoughts on the Future of Work
- TechCrunch: Industrious buys PivotDesk, raises $25M to be WeWork without startup bros
- Forbes: The Industrious Formula For Productive Coworking Spaces