About the Company:
Industrious’ private offices and suites — the highest-rated workspaces in the industry — provide the most sustainable option for companies to manage newly distributed teams for the long term. We make it easy to find an office that works for you — even if you come in just once or twice a week. Recognized as one of America’s 500 fastest-growing companies in 2020 by Inc. Magazine, Industrious offers flexible terms and locations in more than 50 U.S. markets.
Scaling any business as rapidly as we are is both exciting and challenging. We’re lucky to be working with a product we know thousands of people across the country love, a strong financial position, and a team of fantastic people. Our task for the years ahead is to build off our exceptional business and team fundamentals to aggressively grow our network and become landlords’ partner of choice for all flexible commercial uses.
As our Assistant Controller you will oversee a high volume of transactions across our locations nationwide. You will be responsible for overseeing various operational finance tasks in relation to the general ledger, revenue recognition entries, related cost of sales, SG&A, P&L packages by department and location, balance sheet reconciliations by location, lease accounting, deferred revenue, journal entries, technical accounting issues and financial reporting. Using your advanced knowledge of accounting principles, you will support our Controller and provide guidance and direction to the team as they navigate the rapid growth, changing nature, and increasing complexity of our business.
The position will establish and maintain SOX compliance, issue internal financial statements and reports on a timely basis, while meeting all financial close reporting requirements and deadlines. He/she will provide accounting support to operational departments and special projects as needed, and will be involved in technical accounting research and adoption of new accounting pronouncements. This position will manage a staff of 2 managers plus each manager’s direct reports, which consists of an additional 6 people.
This position reports to the VP, Controller and is based in New York City.
- Responsible for leading and managing the Company’s monthly close process, ensuring that the accounting records are maintained in accordance with GAAP, free from material misstatements, and that the NetSuite GL and its sub ledgers are closed on a timely basis. Includes the review and posting of journal entries during the monthly close process.
- Prepare/review monthly and quarterly P&L variance analysis packages for the Controller. Review all monthly balance sheet reconciliations.
- Continually develop, expand and improve/streamline month end close, financial reporting procedures, and help drive the reduction of the close timeline.
- Review/prepare financial statements and several footnotes to be included in the audited financial statements. Interact with the Company’s external auditors with respect to the Company’s financial statements and related analyses.
- Monitor emerging accounting issues and new pronouncements to ensure that the Company adopts applicable guidance on a timely basis. Be able to perform technical accounting research and document findings in an accounting policy memo, on an ad hoc basis.
- Continually assess and implement process improvements, including anticipating improvements to become more efficient as the company scales.
- Effectively manage, motivate, and train assigned staff and provide regular status of work-in-progress responsibilities to the Controller.
- Evaluate and identify areas of potential exposure and internal control weakness and evaluate and improve processes and work flows to improve completion times.
- Coordinate or assist with the budget process.
- Complete special projects in an accurate and timely manner, as assigned.
- BS/BA in Accounting with 8+ years of direct experience in the field. MBA/MACC is a plus.
- CPA with Big 4 experience + previous experience in accounting/finance role for a public company
- Strong communication skills with the ability to communicate complex accounting terms across a wide range of stakeholders. Strong critical thinking and technical accounting skills. Self-starter with exceptional prioritization skills who’s excited to work in a high paced entrepreneurial environment. Extremely strong attention to detail is a must.
- Experience in managing high performing accounting teams of at least 5 people
- Enthusiastic about designing and implementing systems and policies. Previous experience with process improvement/automation is a plus.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite, with intermediate/advanced Excel
- Previous experience with ERP system and other accounting software (NetSuite, Concur, Coupa, Zuora, WorldPay, Stripe) preferred.
- Being familiar with creating custom reports using a financial reporting software; such as PBCS is a plus.
- Proficient knowledge of most financial statement captions, including, cash, fixed assets, accounting for variable and fixed rate leases, revenues, cogs, sg&a expenses, off-balance sheet commitments, VIEs/management contracts, etc.
- Experience with the new leasing standard (ASC 842) is a plus, as the implementation of this standard significantly impacts the Company.
- Previous experience in accounting for and consolidating international locations is a plus
Industrious in the News:
- CBRE Acquires 35% Stake in Flexible Workspace Firm Industrious
- The Continued Rise of Offices in a Virtual World: Industrious
- Flex-Office Provider Industrious Expands As Industry Contracts
- Future of Flex: How Employee Choice Could Change Offices for Good
- As Other Co-Working Spaces Struggle, Startup Industrious Stokes a Growing Niche