About the Company:
Industrious is the largest premium flexible workspace provider in the U.S. with over 80 locations in more than 45 U.S. cities. Its Workplace Experience platform, which pairs thoughtfully-designed spaces with hospitality-driven services and amenities, has reshaped the concept of coworking into a scalable solution for companies of all sizes and stages. Since its founding in 2013, Industrious has helped thousands of companies scale their businesses while maintaining the highest NPS scores in the industry. For more information, visit www.industriousoffice.com.
About the Role:
As VP of Legal at Industrious, you will lead all of the company’s legal efforts. This is an exciting and challenging opportunity as you help navigate the legal needs of a high growth company that is changing rapidly. In this role you’ll advise on a wide range of topics, including the following:
- Hiring and performance management - You’ll be responsible for continuing to build out our legal team. We’re looking for someone who has experience doing a significant amount of hiring, as well as managing a relatively large team of lawyers.
- General in-house legal work - You’ll oversee the internal legal needs of a growing company, from HR related work, to managing legal risk in the business, to thousands of contracts with vendors, partners, or general contractors, to issues of compliance with state and federal law across our various business lines. This will also include management of any litigation, should it arise.
- Corporate transactions and capital markets work - As VP of Legal, you will manage our legal efforts related to mergers & acquisitions, equity fundraising, debt and other capital markets work, and the complex task of gearing the company up for a potential IPO.
- Network expansion - The aggressive expansion of our network through partnership agreements with landlords will require a high output of work from our real estate focused legal team, which you will manage.
- International expansion - Industrious is beginning its international expansion in earnest, which will require setup and ongoing work related to functioning across a variety of legal regimes.
- Board Oversight- As VP of Legal, you will play a vital role in managing oversight and decision-making processes with our Board of Directors, and will play an active role in the planning and execution of the company’s quarterly board meetings.
The role will report to Industrious’s CEO.
What We’re Looking For:
- 10+ years of experience within an established law firm as well as experience as in-house counsel (or equivalent)
- Experience in business strategy (in particular, experience participating in discussions of business strategy and decision-making, with a willingness to weigh in on business strategy questions beyond simply providing the legal point of view)
- Experience in raising private market equity and debt, as well as complex M&A. IPO or other public market experience would be a plus.
- International business experience, and knowledge of international compliance/regulations
- Comfort with rolling up your sleeves and doing your own drafting, commenting, or other legal work when necessary
- Ability to lead, inspire, and manage a team
In addition to our incredible team, there are lots of other fun reasons to work with us.
- Daily breakfast, snacks, coffee, tea, and drinks at all Industrious locations
- Health care, including vision and dental
- Learning & development grant
- 401K plan
- Smart casual dress code
- Generous vacation time
- Paid parental leave
- Team outings and annual company-wide offsite
Industrious in the News:
- How Industrious is Changing the Coworking Industry
- Industrious CEO Sees Company as Less Risky Than WeWork
- Strong Margins to Protect WeWork Rival 'Industrious' from Recession: CEO