About the Company:
About the Role:
As Director of Construction at Industrious, you will be responsible for the leadership of the western project management team and overall construction of all commercial interior projects from conception through construction and closeout. Your work will be critical to providing a productive and more connected workplace for startups, artists, writers and businesses around the world.
The Director of Construction will be responsible for ensuring that all projects meet quality, schedule, contractual, and budget goals. You will oversee internal and external project communications, track overall construction schedules, and review and analyze costs to ensure project managers are meeting budgetary goals. General oversight of general contractors and external partners will be required to ensure all strategic objectives and key results are met.
This will be a dynamic position requiring strong leadership capabilities, seasoned project management experience, knowledge of construction build methodologies and various contract delivery methods with a proven track record of delivering high-end commercial interiors. The ideal candidate should have at least 13 years of experience within the construction industry with general contracting experience in high growth environments. This is a fantastic opportunity to further develop your strategic planning, process development, and team management skills while gaining direct exposure into the real estate, design and hospitality industries from the owner's perspective.
The role is based in Los Angeles and will require some travel.
The candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Managing overall financial performance of construction projects via project management team members.
- Ensuring all openings are kept on schedule through oversight over design, permitting and construction phases of all projects.
- Developing construction business strategies for significant growth; all to ensure fiduciary, schedule and quality standards are all met consistently.
- Navigate constructability reviews, provides design or value engineering options, and develop risk mitigation or contingency plans.
- Oversight of all projects including: handoff from real estate department, scheduling, budget forecasting, close-out, and coordination of external resources with subcontractors, vendors and consultants.
- Ensuring the project management team has all the tools to run efficiently in a fast-paced environment including: software programs, templates, systems, and standard operating procedures.
- Sourcing and managing national partners and vendors from bulk buy materials to construction management firms.
- Interacting regularly with VP of Design and Construction to ensure objectives and key results are being met.
- Working closely with Director of Design Studio and Head of Product to communicate and ensure that the design-intent carries throughout all projects.
- Tracking performance, training, coaching and motivating direct reports.
- Working closely with real estate department by managing due diligence requests, lease reviews, and budgeting exercises.
- Partnering closely with the eastern region Director of Construction to ensure consistency across the department and alignment on strategies and process development.
- Continually develop, review and drive department initiatives geared towards meeting company and department goals.
- At least 13 years project managing commercial interior, retail, or hospitality construction projects, from initial programming through construction completion.
- Project Manager or Contract Executive titles for at least 10 years.
- Strong proven track record of bringing construction projects in on time and within budget.
- Expert knowledge of design and construction methods and MEP systems.
- Significant experience in negotiating, creating bid packages, contract awards, and cost reports.
- Highly proficient in estimating, scheduling, quality control, progress reports, progress billing, design review and coordination, cost reporting, and proposal preparation.
- Construction Management or Engineering degree from an accredited institution.
- A majority of career history based from general contractor or construction management firm.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, and Adobe Suite.
- Exhibits a complete understanding of various contract delivery models including: Design Build, Design Assist, Guaranteed Maximum Price, Cost Plus Fee, Lump Sum.
- Demonstrates ability to work within lean construction methodologies including target value design, pull plan scheduling, integrated product delivery models, and continuous improvement.
- Provide risk management expertise to ensure all contractual obligations are diligently reviewed and met.
- Effective communication skills ranging from providing presentations to executives, motivating direct reports, and onsite field presence.
- Ability to organize, plan and manage multiple objectives to accomplish desired results while tackling challenges head-on.
- Ability to make sound, objective decisions under tight deadlines.
- Strong technical aptitude and analytical skills.
- Must be team oriented with a “roll up your sleeves” attitude and be able to lead productive, multi-discipline meetings.
- Act in a manner of integrity that shows support for the company, its values, and the employees, while maintaining constant focus on meeting/exceeding requirements and expectations.
In addition to our incredible team, there are lots of other fun reasons to work with us.
- Daily breakfast, snacks, coffee, tea, and drinks at all Industrious locations
- Health care, including vision and dental
- 401K plan
- Smart casual dress code
- Generous vacation time
- Paid parental leave
- Team outings (ex. Dinners, rock climbing, yoga classes and more!)
- Company-wide outings and retreats (previous locations have included New Orleans & the Hamptons)
Industrious in the News:
- Industrious raises $80 million to double coworking sites in 2018
- Industrious Raises $80M in Funding Co-Led by Fifth Wall, Riverwood
- Is Industrious Like A Four Seasons? CEO Hodari Seems to Think So
- Blackstone's EQ Office Brings New Coworking Model to Howard Hughes Center