Indigo is a company dedicated to harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. With a vision of creating a world where farming is an economically desirable and accessible profession, Indigo works alongside its growers to apply natural approaches, conserve resources for future generations, and grow healthy food for all. Utilizing beneficial plant microbes to improve crop health and productivity, Indigo’s portfolio is focused on cotton, wheat, barley, corn, soybeans, and rice. The company, founded by Flagship Pioneering, is headquartered in Boston, MA, with additional offices in Memphis, TN, Research Triangle Park, NC, Sydney, Australia, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and São Paulo, Brazil. www.indigoag.com
Indigo is seeking an energetic person to join our team and aid in the advancement of micro-organism based agricultural products that improve stress tolerance and crop yield using organisms isolated from the plant microbiome. The Scientist Formulations: Biology Focus will work with other scientists and engineers to develop stable and robust seed treatment formulations containing living organisms for a variety of crops. The candidate should possess a strong understanding of the microbiology of a range of micro-organisms from bacterial to fungal.The candidate will apply their knowledge to guide the stabilization and preservation of micro-organisms in seed treatment formulations. It is expected the individual will develop assays and analytical techniques to advance Indigo’s basic understanding of how specific chemical and environmental conditions effect dormancy and the long-term preservation of micro-organisms. Efforts will focus on identifying specific biological and chemical mechanisms to guide the development of commercial formulations.
The Scientist Formulations: Biology Focus is a laboratory based position and is expected to conduct experimental design, experimental work, and data analysis as well as communicate their findings to a variety of audiences. This position is at the scientist level or higher and the candidate will be expected to conduct work independently as well as utilize and guide research associate staff as needed. The candidate will perform work that is in line with the development of commercially scalable and cost effective formulations that can be effectively scaled from lab to commercial use.
The candidate should possess a Ph.D. with 3+ years of industrial experience or a M.S. with 5+ years of industrial experience in the area of microbiology, biology, biochemistry, chemistry, bio-chemical engineering, or related field. Experience with biological formulations used in seed treatment is significant plus.
The ideal candidate for the Scientist Formulations: Biology Focus will be knowledgeable and has practical expertise in the following areas:
- Fundamental mechanisms of dormancy, stabilization, or preservation of micro-organisms
- Development of biological assays and bio-analytical techniques
- Characterization of the physiology, metabolism, and stress responses of micro-organisms
- Wet chemistry skills for the preparation of seed treatment formulations
- Agricultural seed treatment processes and characterization of seed applied micro-organisms is a plus
The candidate should also possess the following qualities:
- Ability to work in a diverse, fast paced, start-up environment
- Flexibility and acceptance of change
- Keen interest in understanding complex biological and chemical systems
- Able to directly work with and utilize Research Associate staff for development programs
- Observant with a strong attention to detail
- Perform laboratory work in a clean and safe manner
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills