We’re an international agtech startup pioneering an ambitious mission in a high-growth industry where agriculture meets technology to solve our toughest climate and economic challenges. Through the use of data-driven insights, natural microbiology, and innovative digital technologies, Indigo is partnering across the supply chain, ultimately cultivating a scalable climate solution and enhanced partner ecosystem that beneficially serves farmers, consumers, and the planet alike.
Our mission is unique, and therefore our teams are too: from multigenerational farming gurus who understand the land as though it were an extension of themselves, to cutting-edge tech leaders on the frontier of innovation, our teams are a reflection of the range of the stakeholders we serve: the Earth, the Farmer, and the Consumer.
The Corporate/IP Paralegal will be responsible for a wide range of complex and substantive duties relating to general corporate and intellectual property matters. This person will support the development of Indigo’s US and international intellectual property from preparing and filing U.S. and international applications, through the completion of the prosecution process. This person will also be responsible for maintaining the prosecution docket and following up on items to ensure due dates and deadlines are met. The candidate will be responsible for assisting the attorneys with all phases of intellectual property prosecution matters, and general paralegal support as needed. This person will serve as a key point of contact for the Indigo legal team, ensuring the Indigo business teams have prompt help connecting with the Indigo legal team, and receive necessary information and timely updates.
1. Maintain the Intellectual Property Docket
- Maintain the docket for Indigo's domestic & foreign patent, trademark, copyright, and domain name portfolios
- Send reminders of upcoming deadlines to attorneys
- Prepare all forms for electronic filing with the USPTO and ECO, and file and report the same
- Track, prepare, and file formalities, including Declaration, Power of Attorney and 3.73(b)/Assignment for U.S. applications with reminders if necessary
- Run reports (weekly, monthly, etc.) to confirm due dates and deadlines are correct and provide information for attorneys. Prepare docket status reports for management, investors and attorneys
2. Provide Intellectual Property Prosecution Support
- Assist in preparation of provisional, design, divisional, continuation/in/part applications, and national phase U.S. patent applications, and U.S. trademark and copyright applications, including proofreading applications, corresponding with inventors, formatting figures and drawings, and preparing sequence listings
- Prepare template responses to USPTO communications and send timely send to the prosecuting attorney, with reminders as needed
- Prepare internal and external reporting communications
- Assist attorneys with all filings with the USPTO and ECO, including:
- Tracking and preparing all responses to Notices for Missing Parts or Corrected Application Papers;
- Recording assignments;
- Requesting updated filing receipts when needed;
- Preparing preliminary amendments, substitute specifications, forms for responses to Restriction Requirements, Office Actions, and other miscellaneous communications (including Petitions) with the USPTO;
- Preparing, filing, and report of Information Disclosure Statements.
- Filing national and regional applications
3. Maintain Necessary Systems
- Set up and Maintain PTO Customer Nos.
- Maintain USPTO, ECO, and DMCA Agent accounts.
- Interact with service providers to maintain key systems (e.g. docketing software platform, annuity service) with minimal disruption/maximum performance.
- Legalize foreign documents.
- Interacts with internal attorneys, outside counsel, foreign associates and inventors to assist in getting new inventions filed.
- Preparing correspondence.
- Review of outside counsel billing.
- Coordinate internal patent and trademark meetings and organize agendas and other meeting materials.
4.Understands and embodies our mission & core values
- Excited by Indigo’s mission; believes that Indigo can fundamentally change the agriculture industry; can clearly articulate passion for our mission and values
- Optimistic and innovative; solution-oriented; shows no signs of cynicism
- Will be widely viewed as someone who personifies our core values, is committed to them, and leans on them when making decisions. Specifically:
- Demonstrates a track record of high integrity - doing the right thing, owning mistakes, conducting oneself honestly
- Values, communicates and interacts with others with high levels of transparency and respect
- Collaborates well across functions; creates an inspiring and collegial work environment
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities
- A high energy self-starter who takes initiative
- Strong collaborative skills, able to build partnerships and alliance internally and with external partners at all levels of the organization
- Provide outstanding customer service by maintaining a courteous and helpful approach; demonstrates an understanding of others during stressful situations
- Requires extreme discretion and good judgement be applied at all times; individual must maintain high personal integrity within and outside the company, including handling confidential information appropriately
- Excellent and clear communication skills, both written and oral
- Proactively identify methods to increase efficiencies and productivity
- A reputation for demonstrating integrity and commitment, maintaining discretion at all times
- Excellent organizational and follow-through skills; ability to deal with several things at once under stressful situations
- Strong analytical skills and willingness to deal with and solve on-going unique situations
- Ability to work independently, respond appropriately to urgency, and meet deadlines
- A Paralegal Certification from an ABA approved school or Associate Degree. Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Proficiency in at least one commercial docketing software, with a willingness to learn Foundation IP
- Solid working knowledge of IP docketing functions and procedures
- Knowledge of Electronic and physical patent filing procedures
- Knowledge of USPTO administrative practices
- Knowledge of US, PCT and general foreign filing processes, rules and regulations
- Knowledge of Private PAIR, PCT-SAFE
- Strong computer skills including proficiencies with database software
- Advanced level Microsoft Office skills (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience in assembling information for due diligences
- Intellectual property litigation experience preferred
- Global IP portfolio experience preferred
- Experience preparing sequence listing
We’re building the technology to feed the world and fight climate change. We believe that through teamwork we can achieve more to benefit all of agriculture: from farmers to consumers to the planet. Game changers don't fit in a box. The requirements listed above are examples of what we think enables success in this role, but we recognize the impossibility of fully capturing a singularly perfect description, and we believe in the power of diversified and creative displays of skills and qualifications. We embrace unconventional. We embrace creativity. We embrace a challenge to the status quo. If the specifications in the list below aren’t an exact match... great! Apply, be you, and be proud that you aren’t ordinary (we certainly aren’t!).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status