Indigo helps farmers make farming more sustainable and protect the environment. The Visible Grain team is a group of data scientists, designers, and technologists with deep roots in the commercial org. We are a part of GeoInnovation, the geospatial data powerhouse of Indigo. We execute on the core Indigo mission by partnering with large enterprise grain buyers to provide premiums and best-in-class grain pricing, enabling our farmers to profit from sustainable growing practices.
As a Lead Software Engineer on The Visible Grain team, you will lead the development of a web-experience that leverages data from Indigo's technology ecosystem to bring our enterprise customers such as Anheuser-Busch unparalleled visibility into the journey of grain from our trusted farmers. You will be leaning on your full-stack experience with a development cycle consisting of around 80% frontend and 20% backend.
As a Lead Software Engineer at Indigo, you’ll:
- Independently build, test and deploy a complete front-end and back-end web application from scratch, based on wireframes designed by the team.
- Present directly to our external customers during the monthly customer-feedback meetings.
- Expertly review code, have your code reviewed by core engineering, and mentor other engineers.
- Brainstorm features with the team based on your knowledge of the codebase.
- Work with The Visible Grain and design teams to roll out design-testing experiments as part of the web-experience, understand specific strengths of each premium feature and its differentiating qualities in our ecosystem.
- Be responsible for developing new areas of the product, with an eye towards long-term sustainability.
- You’ve been building applications professionally for 4+ years.
- You have strong experience working on consumer facing web/mobile applications that you are proud of!
- You are heavily into frontend development but can tackle backend concepts, if necessary, or work easily with backend engineers on other Indigo teams.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and data management.
- You have deep experience in the latest web standards, including HTML5 and CSS3.
- frontend frameworks such as React, AngularJS, Polymer, Closure, Backbone etc.
- backend frameworks such as Flask, Django, Phoenix, Spring, PLAY, Express, Pyramid etc.
- web protocols and web server optimization techniques.
- You have a working knowledge of SQL and can manipulate JSON files.
- You are a strong communicator and can lead technical architecture discussions driving technical decisions within your team.
- You're comfortable collaborating across teams to discuss technical and usability trade-offs.
- You strive to create fast, reliable, testable and documented code that others can understand.
- You bring a positive attitude, a sense of humor, and self awareness.
- B.S. in Computer Science or relevant engineering fields
Are you looking for a challenge and to make a difference? Get us your resume today!
Indigo is a company dedicated to harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. With a vision of creating a world where farming is an economically desirable and accessible profession, Indigo works alongside its growers to apply natural approaches, conserve resources for future generations, and grow healthy food for all. Utilizing beneficial plant microbes to improve crop health and productivity, Indigo’s portfolio is focused on cotton, wheat, barley, corn, soybeans, and rice.
The company is headquartered in Boston, MA, with additional offices in Memphis, TN, Research Triangle Park, NC, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and São Paulo, Brazil.
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow. As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.