Indigo improves grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health through the use of natural microbiology and digital technologies. Utilizing beneficial plant microbes and agronomic insights, Indigo works with growers to sustainably produce high quality harvests. The company then connects growers and buyers directly to bring these harvests to market. Working across the supply chain, Indigo is forwarding its mission of harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. The company is headquartered in Boston, MA, with additional offices in Memphis, TN, Research Triangle Park, NC, Basel, Switzerland, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and São Paulo, Brazil. www.indigoag.com
IndigoCarbon and the broader Terraton Initiative is the most explicit expression of our sustainability goals yet. Our goal is to remove 1 trillion tons of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, sequester it in agricultural soils, and by doing that, improve the health of the soil, the profitability of farmers, the quality of our food, and the health of our planet.
Indigo is preparing to expand its carbon business in Europe and the development of its first carbon offsets projects. To that end, we are looking to hire a Carbon Offset Project Designer to lead the functions related to carbon offset project design. The role can be performed as staff (Carbon Project Design Manager) or as an individual consultant depending on the individual’s preference. The role will be based in Basel or a mutually agreed European location.
- Evaluate and create a strategy of how to best apply the most recent Verra methodology under development in the European context
- Build and execute carbon offset project design plans to enable growers to comply with carbon offset protocols and generate carbon offsets
- Create and apply a framework for project selection to ensure pipeline of projects has highest likelihood of generating carbon offsets.
- Build specifications and requirements to data to select projects and develop carbon project design plans
- Ensure 90%+ of carbon projects designed and submitted for verification processes are successfully registered and issue offsets in line with expected volume and schedule.
- In coordination with other internal teams, determine needs and deliverables for software, training, marketing, and any other relevant tools to effectively perform the role’s responsibilities.
- Simplify complex carbon offset protocol language into material that our growers, agronomists and internal stakeholders can easily understand and apply in their roles.
- Contribute, as needed, to development of training materials for agronomists, account managers and other internal stakeholders
- Collaborate with local, national or regional stakeholders, as needed, clarify operational aspects of protocols
- Manage, as required, external partners or consultants assisting in the planning and implementation of the carbon projects design
- Highly structured and organized project manager:
- Able to understand project requirements
- Able to independently develop project plans based on requirements
- Able to look ahead and understand resource and input requirements
- Able to manage many workstreams in parallel
- Eager to work in a fast-paced environment
- Very mission-focused
- Works cross functionally and cross regionally throughout Indigo’s global geographic footprint
- Thrives in an ambiguous environment
- Able to create, manage and control the development, implementation and monitoring the carbon credits trade that is most efficient for Indigo’s business
- Willing to get deep into details of protocols to understand every element of them at an intuitive and comprehensive level
- Task and detail oriented, excellent planner
- Able to communicate with internal and external stakeholders across many functions
- Must be reflective and able to come up with solutions that can solve complex problem
- 8+ years of experience with carbon offset project design
- Proven and substantial experience planning and implementing carbon offset project design, gained at a leading environmental/carbon consultancy, carbon developer, and/or verifier
- Experience with carbon offset project development with land-use protocols would be a plus
- Technical experience in the creation of carbon offset protocols and/or interpreting and putting into practice carbon offset protocols
- In depth-understanding of key principles governing carbon offset methodologies, including carbon accounting, additionality, leakage, and permanence, among others
- Degree in environmental science, sustainability, business or any other relevant field
- Familiarity with the agriculture sector would be a plus but is not required
- Experienced to work with a range of stakeholders, including local authorities, national government bodies, consultancies, academic institutions
- Fluent in English; fluent command of additional European languages would be a plus.
Please submit a CV and Cover Letter using the submission form below by July 5, 2020. Interviews will be performed on a rolling basis.
 For more background on the methodology under development: https://verra.org/methodology/methodology-for-improved-agricultural-land-management/
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.