What if nature could be harnessed to help farmers sustainably feed the planet? Since 2014, Indigo has questioned agriculture's full value chain to improve grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health. The company’s scientific discoveries and digital innovations have amplified new value from soil to sale, benefiting more than 10,000 growers to date. Indigo is also the company behind The Terraton Initiative, a global effort to drawdown one trillion tons of atmospheric carbon dioxide by unlocking the potential of agricultural soils. In 2019, Indigo was ranked #1 on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 list. Headquartered in Boston, MA, Indigo has additional offices in Memphis, TN; Research Triangle Park, NC; Sydney, Australia; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Basel, Switzerland; and São Paulo, Brazil.
As a Remote Sensing Data Scientist on our GeoInnovation team, you will use your knowledge of remote sensing principles, experience with handling geospatial data from a variety of sources, and skills with analytical techniques applied to Earth and environmental problems to help create infrastructure and understanding directed toward creating a living map of the world’s food supply.
- Build deep understanding of existing algorithms and data assets
- Contribute to components of in-flight remote sensing analyses and development
- Take ownership of discrete tasks, delivering on challenging deadlines
- Collaborate with Engineering staff on scaling your work
- Develop awareness of, and contribute to as much as possible, tasks that others directly responsible for
- Fluent in Python, capable of framing problems as Python programming tasks from the ground up, as well as working with existing code
- Can use and understand Python FOSS geospatial libraries: GDAL, GeoPandas, Shapely, Fiona, PyProj
- Can work with and understand a wide range of geospatial data formats
- Can use git for day-to-day version control
- Knowledge of fundamental remote sensing concepts and some experience with RS data
- Knowledge of fundamental GIS concepts and some experience with non-RS (including vector) geospatial data
- Knowledge of basic statistical methods for data analysis
- Can translate the results of complex analyses into interpretable results, visually and verbally
- Able to create and execute their own tasks with minimal direction
- Works well both as a team member and independently
- Writes reasonably well-documented, maintainable code in a collaborative environment
- An academic degree with a quantitative focus, MS or PhD not required
- Substantive 1-2+ years experience in a software or technology focused environment
- Some experience 6+ months with AWS, Google Cloud, or other large scale computing environment
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.