The Image Analysis Global Lead will build a comprehensive image analysis strategy and lead a worldwide team to develop and implement tools for computer vision at scales from laboratory assays to field imagery. Based in our European headquarters in Basel, Switzerland, they will accelerate Indigo’s R+D pipeline by automating experimental analysis with image processing and suggest new imaging strategies and derived metrics to improve our understanding of our microbes and their interactions with plants. They will enlarge our understanding of field data with real time image analysis from sources ranging from UAVs to satellites. They will build a high performing, cross functional team capable of scaling computer vision and machine learning driven image analysis internationally for product development across all of Indigo’s operations. Developing a unified team, culture, and strategy for image analysis uniting R+D and field/commercial efforts will be fundamental to success in this role.
- Very collaborative; team player; a leader through influence
- Charismatic; able to attract top talent and build an agile culture of success.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Proficiency in German preferred. Additional competencies in languages of key agriculture regions a plus.
- Fast learner; loves to learn about learning new state of the art technologies and techniques
- Passionate and excited about image analysis
- Ability to design user friendly image analysis tools and apply ML techniques to problems from laboratory scale to field scale.
- Ability to handle geospatial data formats and understand their limitations
- Ability to prioritize among conflicting demands
- Ability to create long term project vision for assimilation across departments and a unified image analysis strategy.
- Comfortable with cloud-based systems like AWS
- 10+ years of experience in image analysis/processing (inclusive of any graduate education)
- PhD in life sciences with deep experience building optical equipment, ideally in multiple scientific domains.
- Skilled at coding in Python
- Expertise in modern image analysis libraries (openCV, scikit-image and techniques)
- Experience building teams, mentoring junior members, and training talent in novel computational skills.
- Familiar with neural networks / deep learning and their uses in image analysis
- Knowledgeable in different types of imaging devices and acquisition hardware, such as microscopes, cameras and other advanced instruments
- Proven track record and understanding of already developed, “straight out of the box” tools
- Well versed in current state of the art imaging technologies and connected to key technology developers
- Comfortable working with other teams (Automation, Innovation, etc.) to choose and deploy new imaging technology.
- Prior experience with satellite imagery and imagery data at various scales: satellite, MAV, UAV, vehicle-based, greenhouse-based, etc. preferred.
- Experience in image analysis applications for biological systems preferred