Indigo Agriculture is a company dedicated to harnessing nature to help farmers sustainably feed the planet. With a vision of creating a world where farming is an economically desirable and accessible profession, Indigo works alongside its growers to apply natural approaches, conserve resources for future generations, and grow healthy food for all. Utilizing beneficial plant microbes to improve crop health and productivity, Indigo’s portfolio is focused on cotton, wheat, corn, soybeans, and rice. The company, founded by Flagship Pioneering, is headquartered in Boston, MA, with additional offices in Memphis, TN, Research Triangle Park, NC, Sydney, Australia, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and São Paulo, Brazil. www.indigoag.com.
Indigo Research Partners (IRP) is the world’s largest agriculture lab focused on finding innovative technologies and products that add value to the farm. IRP was created to enable an entirely new method of agricultural R&D. This approach eliminates the “one size fits all” model associated with traditional small plot field trials and evaluates cutting edge technologies on commercial scale conditions in partnership with influential growers across the world. The platform is designed to generate data relevant to a specific farm or field and lead to actionable insights for growers. Indigo Research Partners’ goal is to accelerate the adoption of innovative technologies that optimize on-farm decision making and ultimately improve grower profitability. https://www.indigoag.com/for-growers/indigo-research-partners
The IRP Sr. Technical Service Data Manager in Indigo Research Partners (IRP) will develop and lead data science activities for the IRP field team. This role will support the Technical Service team for hypothesis creation, general trial design/implementation, data analyses, and reporting of farm scale systems-based testing of a wide range of technologies, manage data capture and analyses, and train the field team on spatial analysis and general data analysis.
- Serve as IRP technical leader in spatial analysis of field data, statistics, and data management.
- Develop or refine hypotheses for testing any technology throughout IRP hub system to transition product concepts from R&D testing to commercial products.
- Help develop and apply new technologies for data collection.
- Work with Technical Service Reps to develop more directed and efficient spatially-dependent data collection methodologies.
- Develop standards to capture and record high-quality data throughout the cropping cycle and transition into appropriate databases as scheduled.
- Coordinate and/or conduct analyses and interpret complex research studies for timely reporting to stakeholders;
- Synthesize data collected from instruments, implements, and inputs, as well as management best-practices to determine the optimal systems to improve grower profitability and support IRP and Key Accounts.
- Incorporate historical data from stakeholders into current IRP methodology and report findings from relevant historical data to Partners.
- Build and sustain positive relationships with IRP team, Precision Ag Specialists, and other functional groups within Indigo and develop a scientific network outside of Indigo.
- Incorporate innovative, critical, constructive, and creative thinking.
- Collaborate within Indigo on software tools, which will be used by IRP and Commercial teams to provide customers with data-driven insights and deliver unparalleled agronomic and profitability decision-making ability.
- Be seen and embraced as a leader in the Indigo organization by fostering openness and transparency; provide a window from internal operations to the outside world via key stakeholders.
- Understand Indigo’s purpose and core values and articulate what makes Indigo different from other companies.
- Widely viewed as an individual who personifies Indigo’s core values, is committed to them, and leans on them when making difficult decisions.
- Maintains a clear vision of the grower’s needs where their success is critical.
- Able to work independently as part of a team; collaborates at a high level within team and across R&D, IT and Commercial teams.
- Able to think critically.
- Flexible in thought and action; ability to deal with ambiguity in a positive manner.
- Curious and perceptive: Enjoys new technology. Willing to rapidly learn new technologies on short notice.
- Comfortable using ag data software and GIS software packages to process raw data.
- Ability to process and clean data for analysis.
- Extremely comfortable working with messy datasets from a variety of non-normalized sources.
- Enjoys capturing complex analysis problems; able to identify and apply appropriate advanced statistical analysis techniques as necessary.
- Confident in drawing conclusions from data and recommending future courses of action.
- Able to train and mentor Technical Service Representatives on data analysis techniques, interpretation, visualization, and reporting.
- Able to use R or Python. Proficiency in SQP would be a plus, as would experience in Looker or other visualization framework (e.g. Spotfire, Tableau, Google Studio) to build reports and dashboards.
- Strong and succinct communicator; ability to communicate and interface with corporate customers.
- MS or Ph.D. in data sciences or agricultural discipline required.
- 5+ years of agricultural experience preferred as well as experience with spatial data analysis, data aggregation, and geovisualization.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 35% of the time.
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.